Guest no show but wants to check-in next day

Dori30
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Guest no show but wants to check-in next day

Hello

The guest booked my room for 2 nights. Prior to her arrival i messaged her about the check-in details saying that the check-in window closes at 9pm and the lockpack code will expire. I waited until 10pm then i left the flat as i had to travel somewhere. 

Guest texted me around 11 and i told her that she missed her check-in. I am out of town tomorrow but bow she wants to check in the next day. 

My cancellation policy is strict so no refund will be given. 

Did you have similar situation?

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Dori30 

IMHO the guest should be given the oppertunity to check in on the next day, otherwise you(!) need to cancel the reservation (and receive penalties from Airbnb).

Dori30
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

I was available for the guest to check-in on the checkin day. 

Why would i need to be available the next day too? I made plans accordingly and i am no longer around. 

Thankfully airbnb customer support just agreed with it. No refund will be given for the guest 

@Dori30  FYI, your listing currently advertises the check-in window as "10:00 AM - 10:00 PM." It also shows the checkout time as 10 AM (even though the written description says it's 11:00). The listing also doesn't mention a lockbox or self-check-in, and makes it sound like you're an onsite host who lives there. Are you 100% sure your settings are correct and up to date?

For what it's worth, I don't think there's any specific requirement to accommodate a next-day check-in when the guest misses your advertised time window. But if the booking had been for longer than just 2 nights, you might have had a different outcome. The general rule is that hosts can always turn away guests who fail to meet their check-in requirements (e.g. arrival time, ID, head count) but in doing so they will have to forfeit their payout. And as you probably know, the guest still has the right to publish a review, since the booking wasn't cancelled before the check-in date.