Guest no show- multiple messages sent.

Elizabeth320
Level 2
Austin, TX

Guest no show- multiple messages sent.

Hi Airbnber's! We're in our infancy as hosts, so this hasn't happened before: A guest booked on Sunday, in his comment was simply "showing my dad around Austin". We have an auto reply for instant bookings, so I didn't respond. Today (Tuesday) he was due to check in after 2pm. I sent him a message at 1:30 asking what his ETA was. I didn't get a response around 2:30 and had to leave for work so I sent him another message simply letting him know the house was open, my husband was home to help him with whatever he needed and where his room was. Still no response as of 7pm and still no check in. What do I do?

9 Replies 9
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Elizabeth320

No shows can happen for a variety of reasons - and sometimes if its a serious issue then it's the last thing on the person's mind to cancel accommodation. You have done all you can. If the person does not turn up then you will be paid in any event for your booking.

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Elizabeth320  Many guests - especially younger ones - assume they can check in whenever they like instead of setting a firm time and sticking to it.  We've grown up in an age of 24-hour convenience, I guess.  Did you guest ever show up?

@Cynthia-and-Chris1, yeah he did. I never met either of them, as I didn't get home from work until 11:45pm. But my husband text me at 9pm saying they arrived. I heard them leave super early this morning too. Left behind two banannas and a red potote too (which I found odd). The car had Colorado license plates on it, so maybe they were just passing through. I have no idea, but I'm glad they were able to use our accomodations. 

The thing about the red potato made me laugh.  Who travels with a red potato?!

@Cynthia-and-Chris1 haha, yeah not sure what they thought they were going to do with it. Oddly enough, if only they were a few days earlier, on Sunday I got home from the store, only to remember that I forgot one thing...and it was one red potato. So...there's that! haha. 

I have travelled with many a red potato.  Ha ha ha....  Seriously, I meet organic gardeners all over the world and I bring a potato back home (don't ask me how I get it through customs.... you don't want to know) so that I can grow it here.

Garbanzos and piquillos from Spain, lemongrass from Thailand, nasturtiums from the PNW.... you name it, I've brought it home.

My gardens are named United Nations for a reason.

@Wendy-and-Frank0 haha! The great mystery is revealed!!! I never thought about that. So either I have a red potato from Colorado, or they're really missing their Austin potato. In any case, someone is having mashed potatoes tonight, and it's not them. 😞

I'm cool with that, @Elizabeth320.  Never let a good spud go to waste but humor me and take one third of it (with eyes) and grow it in a clay pot.  You'll think of me everytime you walk near it.  The leaves are gorgeous vines!

Will do @Wendy-and-Frank0!! Thanks for the tip. My husband is the green thumb of the family, so I'll save that for him 🙂 That way, it will survive!