Guest put blame on me for not getting a deal- How do I cancel without getting a penalty?

Valerie314
Level 1
Portland, OR

Guest put blame on me for not getting a deal- How do I cancel without getting a penalty?

I created my listing about a week ago and had a 20% off deal for the first 3 guests who booked. An inquiring guest waited too long to click "submit" and was the 4th person to make a reservation. She has been sending me texts regarding not getting the deal and wants me to change my pricing for her. She has booked a week at my location and I feel uncomfortable having her stay with me. I havent had any guests at my airbnb yet and do not want to be penalized or risk not getting a superhost status host rating because of it.  She has booked 1.5 months out so her reservation isnt for a while. What is the best way to resolve this matter?

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Valerie314 ,

Your listing states the guest(!) can cancel within 48 hour of booking and have full refund. So that's a nice policy were nobody gets hurt. Best regards, Emiel

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

So, @Valerie314, she waited too long? I wouldn't offer anything special to her. Just like discounted goods disappear from shops...

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Valerie314
Level 1
Portland, OR

Right, that's how I feel but Im worried that she'll leave me a bad review for not getting a deal. She wants me to give her another deal now instead

@Valerie314 a person like this is not the kind of guest you want to have as early guest.

Sadly, they apparently already have a confirmed reservation?

A guest who blames the host because the guest was too slow / indecisive is the sort of entitled person who would blame you for any problem, even ones they cause themselves. (Case in point.)

At least there is a handy excuse for you to use regarding the discount:

"I am sorry, but the AirBnB system does not allow me to extend the 'First 3 guests' discount to anyone but the first 3 guests who actually confirmed their reservations. I am not in control of these special discounts. If the price is more than you have budgeted for travel, I understand if you want to cancel your reservation or have AirBnB find you alternative accomodations.

If you do wish to travel here and stay with us, we are prepared to host you!"