Guest refund confusion

Philip2113
Level 2
Mackinac Island, MI

Guest refund confusion

I have had a guest cancel partway through their stay. Per the moderate policy I chose, they are entitled to a 50% refund for the nights they didn't stay when they cancel after check in. In the most recent instance, the guest contacted me to ask for a refund because they said their app/website showed them getting no refund. I told them I would take care of it (obviously I can do a manual refund if needed).

Now, weirdly, when I go into their reservation details under the payout breakdown, it shows the full amount of their ENTIRE stay on the line item "Guest Refund"!

Out of curiosity, I went back and looked at other guests who had canceled within the moderate window (who I thought were getting 50%) and they too showed the full amount under guest refund. Even one guest who was only staying one night and canceled after check-in--the payout breakdown showed she got a full refund.

Am I missing something? I want to make sure this guest receives their refund as advertised, but I also don't want to send them a manual refund in excess of whatever AirBnB seems to be automatically giving them. I reviewed the cancellation policies and all the relevant support guides and nothing seems to explain this discrepancy. Any insight would be appreciated.

EDIT: I also went back to 2019 and looked at guests who canceled in the 50% window at that time, and they showed a 50% refund as expected. So is this something new/different in 2020?

3 Replies 3
Lauren259
Level 2
Longmont, CO

based on recent experience, DON"T TRUST airbnb/refund policy and what they say.  And watch out on your account for tax purposes if you you do choose to issue a cash refund.

Jonathan1371
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Refund: 

The host in Nice happily agreed to a further refund after I approached him in the resolution centre. He paid Airbnb for them to pay me. That was a month ago.

Numerous times I've contacted Airbnb. Standard bot responses till eventually they agreed to refund the money they already had from the host. Trouble is,  and a week later, they still haven't refunded me.

I don't know what to do now apart from continuing to write to Airbnb . 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Try them on their social media @Jonathan1371