Guest refused to wear mask in common area and now has tested positive for Covid. Anybody have advice as I have to cancel subsequent guests and Airbnb sending me fines.

Michelle2746
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Guest refused to wear mask in common area and now has tested positive for Covid. Anybody have advice as I have to cancel subsequent guests and Airbnb sending me fines.

Anybody had this happen? How do i contact airbnb to refute the fine $50? Any help appreciated.  It seems a pointless exercise today when we have to isolate for 10 days which is lost revenue of normal work which far outweighs a 2night stay.  Grrrrr.

7 Replies 7
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Michelle2746 

I’m very sorry to hear that and I’m afraid that this is going to be a common issue.

I was under the impression that Airbnb was waiving penalties when COVID-19 issues are involved.

I guess you have to try to get in touch with Customer Support. 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Michelle2746  When a guest refuses to obey your house rules, you ask them to leave. It's as simple as that.

Why would you allow someone to stay who disrespects you and your home, thereby putting your health and the health of others at risk? 

You allowed this to happen. 

Michelle2746
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I am cross with myself. I only saw the guests on first evening in well ventilated area (front door and bedroom area).  I was caught off guard and should instantly reacted. I noticed even P Biden is still wearing mask in common areas.

ive stopped Airbnb.  Shame as had 3 sets of fabulous guests.

@Michelle2746 I think the US situation is very different to the UK. Thankfully Airbnb are allowing hosts and guests to follow local laws now rather than imposing one countries situation on others.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kia272 I don't see anything in the house rules about wearing a mask so the guest hasn't done anything wrong.

Also @Michelle2746 I don't believe you need to isolate now but should take a covid PCR test and wear a mask until you get the results.

Airbnb are good when you legally can't host but, it appears, less good when you perhaps shouldn't host

@Mike-And-Jane0  with all due respect, regardless of any written house rules, if a host and homeowner asks a guest to wear a mask (in the middle of a pandemic), the guest should comply. It's common courtesy as well as a health mandate and respectful. 

If @Michelle2746 didn't include that in her house rules that's not the best thing, but bottom line it's completely disrespectful of the guest in so many ways, and she should not have allowed them to stay. Aside from which I believe that AirBnB is still  mandating mask wearing in common areas. Both hosts and guests agree to that, I believe. 

Enforcement is a different matter....

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Michelle2746  after reading your post  I went to check Airbnb cancellation policy https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2701/extenuating-circumstances-policy-and-the-coronavirus-covid1...   and it seems extenuating circumstances without penalties includes the situation when the guest or host is sick.... but does not include quarantine. I didn't know that... or forgot.

Interesting... so, either guests and hosts will hide they were exposed and will stay/honour the reservation anyway... or they will lose money / be penalized. Knowing the human nature.... hm...