Guest removed mattress protector, got urine on bed, airbnb refused claim

Zack118
Level 2
Arcata, CA

Guest removed mattress protector, got urine on bed, airbnb refused claim

So its a long story...
A guest rented my duplex portion of my home after the COIVD 19 crisis began. 
We needed to rent for the money, we wanted to have long term tenants

The guest books for a month and ask our covid 19 procedures.

3 days into her booking she requests i change her lock code as she thinks she "compromised her location" and code. so i had changed it for her.
2 days later she called airbnb and had them call me to request a cancelation.

Feeling strapped for the money and stressed for renters, i had to deny the request in accordance with my policies.

After that i believe the guest stopped staying at my home, who knows.... she did however use the room to keep her cat for the duration of the stay.
about 15 days into the reservation shes asks me to fix her headboard because it was making some noise. i say i dont want to enter the unit due to covid but, recommend putting a pillow to stop the noise as some guests have before (metal headboard).

10 minutes later she hunts me down working outside and requests i fix the headboard, so reluctantly i do. I enter the unit and see that she is using my towels as a litter box and litter and urine is all over the floor.

I ignore it because if she doesn;t know she needs to use a litter box, my telling her as a fellow cat owner, isn't going to help....

The headboard is disconnected from the bed, and the bed is about 4ft from the wall in the middle of the room. the headboard is laying on the bed.... (a slight a noise)

I fix the bed and leave the room...

Throughout the rest of her stay she asked for her code to be changed twice, and also asked for a key to the interior door that seperates my house from hers. the door has locks on both sides, so i denied the request, as he doesn't need access to my side of the home, it should be assumed i always have acess to hers as the homeowners, and that since i have rented the space to her, i would NEVER enter it without her asking me too or after her checkout. 

She makes several other odds jabs at privacy and seemed quite paranoid or off to me, so i was at this point worried over legality and evictions and such during this time...

Come the 30th, i mention checkout is by noon, and message 4 more times, over 8 hours to see if she has vacated the room. She never responds... I actually had to have my neighbor film me enter the unit and come with me as i was worried she was trying to pull some kind of legal maneuver or make a claim about me be threatening or something. and i did not know if she had left, checked out, or gotten her cat.

I enter the unit and it is destroyed, cat urine everywhere, cat litter everywhere, all dished left dirty (house rules about that), no cleaning done at all, garbage shoved behind every peice of furniture and in every drawer and cabinet. I believe she attempted to trash the unit because i would not refund her..

Towels that were used as a litter box, Stolen.

Floor with urine stains in hallway, bathroom, bedroom, and closet.

The best part.

She took my $100 mattress protector with a warranty to the $2500 sleep number bed it was on protecting against any stains for life.
There is urine all over the bed.
The protector is soaked.

Film a claim for damages and say "need to submit more information before review" as the airbnb claim form mentioned i could do.
Woke up the next morning, claim resolved, no payouts, pet damages.
I call and get the case managers supervisior.
He laughs at me and is rude on the phone saying the damages were caused by a pet.
Dismisses stolen towels and overstay fee.
Says to me "In my mind, the mattress was probably peed on, probably by her cat, maybe by her, and then her next action was to remove the protector to clean or dry it, and in doing so she got urine on the bed." "But i will not pay out the claim because we dont cover damages *caused* by pets."

I ask him "why, if it were her actions, and we cannot say whos urine, only that SHE CAUSED THE MATTRESS PROTECTOR TO BE REMOVED AND CAUSED THE DAMAGED IN ATTEMPTING TO CLEAN IT, in your own words, would you then not pay the claim out, admitting it was her, and her actions that caused the damage?

He laughed and said, "because we dont cover damaged caused by pets"

Ive been trying to have the case transferred for over a week, mentioned i have his voice recorded admiting the damaged were caused by the guests actions. but i cannot get it transferred. 8 days, 5 calls, 8 hours on hold, 5 reps, and 5 expeditions and 5 requests for a callback from a supervisior, Nothing.

what should i do, i cant get any help, i cant keep calling and getting no callback or claim manager.... slowly going insane.... the supervisor admitted the damages were caused by her, not her pet. 

9 Replies 9
Zack118
Level 2
Arcata, CA

They keeping stating they have submitted a ticket for transfer but no case managers have become available, even with the expedited ticket.

No case managers in over 7 days is a little hard to believe.....

So then i say please resubmit the ticket (all 5 times) AND also, please submit a request for your supervisor to call me back, As the transfer and callback haven;t been working.

5/5 no calls back,

5/5 no transfer or manager

5/5 no case being re-opened in resolution center as im assured it is....

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Oh, @Zack118 I am so sorry for your trouble 😞 Yes, that's true, ABB doesn't cover pet damages so if you find a urine stain you should tell it is from the owner or unknown source or it is a beverage spill. This is wrong and one of the main reasons why there are not many pet-friendly units available.

Although we all need money, we have to be aware that we are renting very valuable homes and a tenant or a guest can do more harm to us then we can charge. That's why we don't want unhappy or angry tenants and guests and we always allow cancelations. It is better to lose 100$ than to deal with expensive damages and waste our time and energy on repairs, shopping, deliveries, workers, cleaning... and get a bad review at the end.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am sorry for your experience @Zack118 

I think you know in hindsight, you should have asked Airbnb to cancel the booking when you first saw the state she was leaving your apartment in, rather than letting her stay.

Airbnb does make it clear on it's guarantee it doesn't cover pet damage; one of the reasons why I don't accept pets. Many hosts charge a daily rate for guests bringing pets.

Could you claim on your home insurance for STRs?

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Zack118  That's unfortunate, but I have to say if I found someone was using the floor as a liter box, I would have terminated their stay right then and there, it is kind of inexplicable that you saw someone was using your own towels and floor for the cat to use as a liter box and you did nothing and said nothing.

Zack118
Level 2
Arcata, CA

First of all, airbnb asked us to refund 100% of the reservation, not just 100, we needed the cash and the damage was done so i decided to let it go, knowing i would have to replace or clean the floors by this point anyways....

As far as airbnb not covering damaged CAUSED by pets.
her pet did not cause the damage, she did. She removed and tied the matress protector in a knot to the headboard. an action her cat is incapable of. the airbnb supervisior then said in his mind, it was her actions cleaning the protector that damaged the bed.

the gaurentee specifically says CAUSED BY PETS, EI the pet has to cause the damage.  Since it were her actions I think the damage needs to be paid. in no way could her cat have ever damaged my bed, it was her spilling urine on it that did that damage AFTER she removed the protective layer.

it does not matter what was spilt on the bed, only that it was her who spilt it.

Furthermore, what if i bring a full nasty catbox into your unit, without asking for pets to be allowed, and spread it all over your bed and furniture... 

are you going to tell me a pet caused that damage?

its the same situation, a guests vindictive actions led to damages.... 

the only thing her pet actually caused, was the damaged to the floor, which i understand will not be covered. but without her express actions, the bed would've been fine soaked in anything....

@Zack118  Some hosts say that if you call airbnb and ask them to close the ticket, then call again and open a new ticket that you sometimes get a different result.  So, you could try that, close the current case, call again and leave out the details on the cat, and simply go for the cost of the mattress that the guest had removed the mattress protector and then spilled 'something' on the mattress and it cannot be cleaned.  I have no idea if this will work, but at this point, you have nothing to lose.

Me, personally, I believe that if a guest sneaks in a pet illegally and that pet damages the unit that airbnb guarantee should cover it, but it doesn't. 

I hope you give this guest the review she deserveds. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Zack118   It appears you have removed your listing, right?  It is very unfortunate when a host feels forced to accommodate an unsuitable guest for whatever reason.  I am wondering if you had listed a specific "security deposit" and sought the claim against that or if you were seeking to use the Air BNB "insurance".  It seems that if there is  a deposit, then the claim is handled differently than if you are seeking to use the Host Protection.

Perhaps you will not seek to continue with Air BNB, but be sure to consider an adequate security deposit.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Zack118  Sorry you had this horror show. But I also don't understand why you didn't boot her out as soon as you found out she had brought  cat against your rules, and saw the state of the place. That you just let her booking continue, when you could tell she was a terrible guest, allowed a bad situation to get even worse.

there are a lot of situations where the host is not supported by Airbnb. I just wrote out an entire story about my issue and stated why I am leaving Airbnb for any future guests, but it did not get posted. I am trying again here. I think hosts need and deserve to be treated better by Airbnb. I am so done with this platform.