Guest removed smoke detectors, clear signs of smoking - definitely a bad review

Ruth425
Level 3
Mogadore, OH

Guest removed smoke detectors, clear signs of smoking - definitely a bad review

I recently had a guest who was super-worried about "is it the whole house or just a room" and then "are there cameras in the house?" and then "my friend smokes cigarettes, is it okay if he smokes outside?". So the guest booked 2 nights and on the first night the Nest smoke detector alerted me there was smoke in the hallway. I texted the guest - no reply - the house is next door so I checked by looking out the window and there was no issue, so I left it. Next day guest texts me late in the afternoon to say he burned a pizza. Could happen, so I left it. Going up to clean after the guest has checked out I discover the smoke detector in the kitchen is GONE, the smoke detector in the master bedroom has been removed and hidden behind the door, every light and every fan was left on, and windows open with the heat left on. Also a can of ozone air freshener left in the kitchen, and a "lemon cake" candle for removing smoke smell. No prizes for guessing that the guests were smoking - probably not cigarettes as that smell is distinctive - probably something else. Let's be honest - if people want to smoke whatever they like, that is their business, but not in my guest house, which has a strict no smoking/vaping/chewing tobacco policy.  Am I going to give a bad review - hell yes! On the 23rd hour of the 14th day to avoid retaliation from the guest - I have seen so many hosts debating over leaving a bad reviews, and seriously - you shouldn't sweat it. Other hosts deserve to know that a particular guest is trouble, and such guests should be blocked from instant booking - that is supposed to be how the system works. We have to take care of each other - as I know from personal experience Air BnB is not really interested in resolving such issues.

11 Replies 11
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

You get em @Ruth425 🙂 One star across the board! 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

good on you @Ruth425 
No one needs to have their home & rules that are clearly listed abused.

Give them a NO if you would Host them again as that's a red flag to others.

I am a smoker. Just so you know where I am coming from on this. I would *NEVER* smoke inside a non smoking place, I don't even smoke anything inside my own home.

One star and a No. 

I'd go as far as to add that as a smoker myself of 50 years,  it may be an addiction, but doing without a cigarette for half a day is no big deal at all. I recently accompanied No1 son on a car trip through germany, Holland, Belgium and france at quite an urgent pace to catch a ferry in Dunkirk  on time and crossed most of a a continent without a cigarette without dying from withdrawal.

It's a lack of respect, simple as that.

As hosts we can be inclusive, but we do not  need to tolerate this level of disrespect from selfish or entitled people.

In addition by removing detectors they have trashed your place and placed future guests at risk, and made work for you rectifying their "modifications".

Do we want people like this in our Airbnb customer base?

No is the *correct* answer 😉

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Ruth425 

In some jurisdictions tampering with smoke alarms is a criminal offence, unfortunately that won't cut any mustard with Airbnb as they simply do not care. 

If its a criminal offence in your  jurisdiction,  I'd report the scumbags to the police and file the report with Airbnb.

The gloves have to come off with this trash.

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

Guests can come up with the weirdest things to cover up their marks.

testt

ok lol

Jacqui-And-Colin0
Level 2
Ventnor, United Kingdom

Although when it asks if you would recommend them to other hosts it says it won't post it on their profile so not sure what the point of it is

Fady2
Level 2
Zagazig, Egypt

asdasdasdasdasdasd

#test

Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

Definitely give them a 1 star for everything & say you don't recommend them due to breaking house rules & smoking inside. Other hosts like myself appreciate knowing so we never have to host them!