Guest requested to remove 5 star review after my review disclosed they violated my non-smoking rule

Nordia1
Level 1
New York, NY

Guest requested to remove 5 star review after my review disclosed they violated my non-smoking rule

As a new host,

I was very shocked when AirBnB aknowleged that my guest asked to remove his 5 star review of my home after he read my review which disclosed that he violated my non-smoking rule and left my home a mess. 

How is this fair I asked? How do you support your hosts? What is the justification for removing an already published review?

If a guest compliments my service, but is later unhappy because I honestly reviewed how he trashed my home, should that guest be allowed to retract his review, even given the fact that I provided photos as evidence? 

What is the point of initially hiding the reviews until both sides have completed it, if it is so simple for one to retract their review if they dislike the comments from the other? 

Will hosts be reserved to honsetly review a guest for fear of losing a review for themselves? 

How does this provide impartiality and protect future hosts? 

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Are you saying Airbnb removed your honest review of the guest @Nordia1 

If so, this is outrageous and I would take this up with Airbnb I am sure you have evidence of the smoking and mess in photos so I would forward these.

However having seen your review of the guest I am rather confused as the only one I can see is this;-

"Keresha was a pleasure to host. Communication was good. She treated my home with well, and left it clean and tidy. I would certainly host her again!"

There is no mention of smoking or the place being left in a messy state?

@Helen3 No. It was another guest who gave me 5 stars and highly recommended my home, but when He saw that I gave him 3 stars because he violated the non-smoking rule and left my home a mess, he called AirBnB and requested that his review of me be removed.

Airbnb removed his review and the compliments he gave me, despite the fact that i uploaded pictures of the mess he left behind in my home. So now, I have just one review instead of two. 

My belief is that once the reviews are published they should be permanent and can only be removed at Airbnb's discretion if they are slanderous or violates AirBnB's policies. Don't just remove the review because one person was unhappy about what the other person wrote.