Guest requesting refund due to state of communal areas of block not my actual flat

Emily1235
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Guest requesting refund due to state of communal areas of block not my actual flat

I've just had a guest who is due to stay today for two nights.

They messaged to say they had just arrived and felt uncomfortable and unsafe due to signs of drug use in the building and lots of binbags and a smell by the front door.

My flat is in a block of 15 flats and I can't control what is left in the communal areas (porch area before the locked area that requires keys). 

I completely get that guest doesn't feel comfortable and wants a refund, and i would say it fits with refund rules where she feels uncomfortable, but this is not in my control.

The flat itself is beautifully clean (which she said, and acknowledged that it was lovely) so i don't want to be completely ruined by the communal area.

Due to covid and the fact that she entered the flat, i will need to send cleaners in, so i'd like to know if i have a case to give only a partial refund. 

I am also worried about reviews as again, this is something out of my control and what i am offering is not worthy of a bad review.

Where would i stand with AirBnB in this situation?

1 Reply 1
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It's a difficult one when you live in a communal block. @Emily1235 

Do you see signs of drug use and rubbish inside the building when you stay? Has the guest sent you photo's? Have other guests complained?

I would just confirm with the guest that you are sorry to hear that they were uncomfortable due to issues outside your control as a host and that you are happy to hear they liked your listing and were impressed by it's cleanliness. Confirm if they decide not to stay, then they can cancel their stay through Airbnb who will process any refund they are eligible for in line with the cancellation policy they booked under.

Regardless of wether you refund a guest they can still leave you a bad review.