Guest requesting to alter reservation - same day at 7pm

Answered!
Julie142
Level 7
Florence, Italy

Guest requesting to alter reservation - same day at 7pm

Hi, 
Quick question: I have 2 guests that were supposed to check-in tonight at 1am. They reached out for me this late afternoon to confirm again if it was ok with me for them to check-in that late. I repeated that they had nothing to worry about, that I will be here waiting for them. 
I then received a message at 7.15pm from them telling me that they will be arriving tomorrow afternoon instead (without even telling me at what time), because apparently they missed their flight. They asked me if I could refund them for today. I actually had things scheduled to do tomorrow, and now I can't do them anymore because I have to be here waiting for them, which is already a huge inconvenience..
I have a strict cancellation policy. This listing is for a room in my home. I'm a student, so the money I make is to pay for my education and related expenses. They are already getting a great price for their stay... 
Is it bad if I say no? Will I be penalized for this by Airbnb?

1 Best Answer
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I would tell them to put in a claim with their travel insurance, @Julie142. I don't know if missing a flight is covered, but it is more a travel insurance thing than something an accommodation host should cover. Were you able to rent out the night they missed? I cannot imagine there was time for that. 

Be your best hosting self, though, when they arrive. I know you will (your reviews say you are lovely!), but just put in the extra care so there is nothing for them to complain about beyond not getting that refund.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Julie142. You do not have to agree to that request and there is no punishment for it.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
I--Diana0
Level 2
Pennsylvania, United States

I agree you are not running a hotel& if you were they would probably rcv only a 60% refund within 24 hrs short of an act of nature. 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I would tell them to put in a claim with their travel insurance, @Julie142. I don't know if missing a flight is covered, but it is more a travel insurance thing than something an accommodation host should cover. Were you able to rent out the night they missed? I cannot imagine there was time for that. 

Be your best hosting self, though, when they arrive. I know you will (your reviews say you are lovely!), but just put in the extra care so there is nothing for them to complain about beyond not getting that refund.