Guest requesting to visit our space before their visit

Thomas1517
Level 1
Seattle, WA

Guest requesting to visit our space before their visit

I have a guest who recently booked our place that lives local here in Seattle. They have been ID validated by Airbnb as far as we can tell and I did find a Facebook page that I believe is the same person. She is bringing a "partner" and after requesting the second persons name they did provide the name.

They are now requesting to view the space before their visit ( 5 weeks from now ) and asked for our address and provided their cell number for me to call.

I have not responded yet and am looking for some advice.

Our opinion is not to allow a pre-visit ( we are totally booked anyway ) they can review the  many pictures online and I will not call their cell and only communicate through Airbnb messaging.

This is the first time this has happened and we are concerned their could be other intent here.

Helpful comments?

6 Replies 6
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

A pre-visit is never a good idea, @Thomas1517 , as you have outlined. That's what the photos, reviews, description and rules are for. 

There are two lines you can use. The first is that it is not allowed by Airbnb. This is true, and I never mind blaming Airbnb for things I don't want to do. They have big shoulders. Find the policy and quote it. 

The second is that you are fully booked. You are. You cannot have people traipsing through private areas being used by paying guests. I use that one quite a lot, too, but mostly when someone off the platform wishes a tour. 

You do not have to let anyone in before the booking begins. If it gets tense, you can suggest they book somewhere, like a hotel, that perhaps allows tours. You can "understand completely" if that is their decision.

You didn't ask about this, but bookings from locals bring their own sets of worries, and more so, given that she is asking for the address so many weeks ahead. You might ask why she needs your place when she lives so close by. 

Thank you so much for the advice.

I did go on the Airbnb site yet cannot find any policy relating to this request. If you have time or know where I should look please let me know.

Concerned.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Thomas1517  I'm not sure it is 'against the rules' but it is certainly discouraged by airbnb, but you could just say that you are terribly sorry, due to the schedule of guests, there is no time for a walk through, and you totally understand if they decide to choose another place.  It is weird, I'd wonder if they're planning on either a photo shoot or a party. 

Thomas1517
Level 1
Seattle, WA

I also just noticed that she just set up her profile this month. No other trips or experience with any other Airbnb places.

Interesting on the photo shoot or party comment ( although I have a no party rule ) since I believe she is a HIP HOP song writer according to the Facebook page, if that is her.

Thomas1517
Level 1
Seattle, WA

I just turned off the instant booking due to this concern.

Does anyone know if a guest can see your address right after they instant book?

Hi Thomas,

Guests can see your address after booking. We usually recommend not accepting pre-visits from local guests, especially since there are photos and reviews to assist them with their bookings. Do you mind us asking why they requested to view beforehand? Are they looking for an extended stay?

If you are already quite booked, I recommend passing on their reservation and finding another guest. However, if you are worried about safety - if they instant booked they should have verified ID and positive guest reviews. You can call Airbnb and get a penalty-free cancellation due to them requesting something outside of Airbnb's terms of service.

Happy hosting!

Best wishes,

Charles at HostGenius Seattle Management