Guest reviews

Answered!
John-and-Vera0
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom

Guest reviews

Is a host review still posted if the guest hasn't left one (and if so, when) - can a guest avoid a negative review by never posting reviews for their hosts?

1 Best Answer

Well, everybody can avoid a review if both don't make one - good or bad.

The rest is described in links @Alice-and-Jeff0 provided. All reviews written are published regardless, yes.

View Best Answer in original post

12 Replies 12

Thanks for your reply but having scanned these links, I still can't find an answer to my specific question (unless I'm missing something?)

Well, everybody can avoid a review if both don't make one - good or bad.

The rest is described in links @Alice-and-Jeff0 provided. All reviews written are published regardless, yes.

@John-and-Vera0 - after 14 days, if either side has written a review, it is published.  If both write one, it is published after the second person completes theirs.  A guest cannot avoid getting negative reviews as long as hosts write them.  Same goes for bad hosts, as long as a guest writes a review, after 14 days it is publishd whether the host wants it or not.  

The first link I provided used to provide this information.  I was as surprised as you that it wasn't there.  I wonder if Airbnb is getting ready to make a change.  

Thank you for taking the time to follow up on your earlier response with such clarity. Like you, I'm surprised that it's not easy to find this clarity through the Airbnb 'help' menu. We haven't had to give, nor have we had a critical (bad) review to date but we have had one or two guest recently who haven't posted one. But hey, 90% have, so perhaps we shouldn't get too exercised about it!

Thanks again

John

Susan702
Level 1
Northbridge, Australia

I had a very happy guest who wanted to leave a review after she had left the country; with the help of her daughter-in-law (the Airnbnb member) she tried several times but they report difficulty in getting the message to upload. They said they tried to contact Airbnb to ask for help but did not get a response. They have therefore sent a "review" to me via text message. Two questions:-

1. Why would she have had trouble leaving/uploading a review?

2. Am I able to "insert" her review using the words she used straight from the text message?

This was our first guest and she stayed for 10 days so we are very keen to use her review.

thanks

Susan

Michael1179
Level 1
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I am troubled that our last two guests have failed to write a review. I have written each of them with a nice reminder and the importance of reviews are to ratings. Both have still failed to write. How do other hosts deal with this?

Michael

Leckie0
Level 2
Etowah, NC

I have a guest that has instant booked a stay at my house over Thanksgiviving. Her profile reflects only 1 review from September 2016. The host, who is identified as "Janelby", only gave the guest an overall 1 star rating. When I asked my prospective guest to explain the low rating, she blamed it on the host  who was defending herself from having provided a bad experience. My prospective guest said that  she has stayed at several other Airbnb properties and did not have any problems. If she is being truthful, shouldn't I be able to see all of her reviews? Also, how can I get in touch with Janelby to hear her side of the story that led to the 1 star rating in September 2016? I am concerned about the potential downside risk to my Superhost rating by having this person (Sarah P) rent my house.

Jerry78
Level 2
Eilat, Israel

REVIEWS should be stopped.  They are detrimental to the host...and, normally LIES!  They have NO value...because they are subjective!  Guests feel they are obligated to complain in a review..and, NOT to the Host!  "Couchsurfers" don't complain...they appreciate the Host!  (This is my opinion...and, of many of my friends!)

WHY CANT I SEARCH FOR A GUEST PROFILE BY NAME!!!!!

Donal2
Level 1
Dublin, Ireland

I had a young man and wife guests recently who spent 30 days in my home while I was travelling.  My friend was available for help/queries.  A few days before I returned, he emailed me a complaint about some items he was dissatisfied with.  This complaint was inaccurate, utterly exaggerated, false and extremely unfair.  For example, he cited 2 white dinner plates that I use for heating in the oven and were oven-stained, out of 12 clean ones in the cupboard; a small light bulb in the bathroom malfunctioned but the main one gave ample light sufficient, there were 2 cobwebs (he appeared to have a fear of spiders) in a corner of the hall ceiling.  Frankly speaking he came from a very well-off family and appeared to be used to 5 star hotels.  I had no adverse criticisms from previous guests.  When I returned on the check-out day I met this man and unfortunately we parted disagreeing about the standard of my home meeting his expectation.  I felt a bit offended and to be honest informed him of my feelings regarding his expectation and criticism of the standard of the house.  

Anyway, I let sleeping dogs lie and did not write any review to warn others of this couple's level of expectation and neediness.  I monitored for any review he may have posted about my home.

However, to my horror, 5 minutes before the last day for deadline for reviews, he wrote a 2 page mainly negative review in an obsessive compulsive style and which was clearly vindictive knowing that I would not have the opportunity to respond and rebuke in detail his comments.

What irked me most, however, is that when I wrote an email to AIRBNB requesting that I get the opportunity to respond to the guest review, I received NO REPLY. 

It is apparent that this may be an online legal concern, or if not then grounds for refining the online rights of consumers.  The reviewer can trash a host or guest if he/she wants without fear of rebuttal.  I say shame on AIRBNB for not even responding to my concern.  It is most disconcerting to have an unfair, inaccurate aspersion of one's home by a total stranger reviewed online.

Debra-and-Robert0
Level 10
Oak Flats, Australia

We have only a modest home in a quiet suburban neighbouhood. We are a short drive to beaches but live in an area with alot to see and do. We explain this in our blurb. Yet we get people giving us great reviews but marking us down for location and others and give us a low overall score. There are not many places other than hostels in our area that charge as little as us. I think people expect 5 star at a 3 star  price. Weve had overnight guests doing 3 loads of washing. Then only giving us 4 stars. Airbnb should do their reviews and ratings in a different way