Guest's Items Damaged

Özgür-Deniz0
Level 2
Vilnius, Lithuania

Guest's Items Damaged

There seems to be no conversation about this and since the Airbnb help center avoided my inquiry, in addition to the fact that I couldn't receive a phone number that I can call, I decided to write about the problem I had the other day as a guest. 

I and a friend decided to take a two-night vacation in Klaipeda, Lithuania. We arrived at the Airbnb on the 4th, and the place was as described, clean, neat, and all. On the 5th, on our way to a nearby town, the owner texted us saying that there had been a problem with the water pipes due to rain and the premise was flooded. He said he will wait until we come back to check if all is well with our room. It was only in his second text that we grasped the severity of the situation. This time he told us that our room was flooded. I told him that he can go into our room and save our belongings, as my friend had a laptop with her. He replied he will wait until we come back as we had the only keys. I told him to go into the room by any means and he refused. We took the earliest bus available and arrived at the Airbnb. 

Upon entering the room, we saw that my friend's belongings, including the laptop and the charger, were exposed to water. I had our arrival to the room video recorded. We opened the laptop's screen, without pushing the power button and it was looping (showing Lenovo screen and shutting off automatically). There was visible damage on the screen too. We put the laptop in rice. The owner came 15 minutes after and took pictures of the room. I told him about the laptop and he suggested waiting until it's dry, which was the only thing to do and he left. In the meantime, my friend contacted Airbnb support and received a Spanish contact number. She was told that I had to contact them since I had made the reservation. Then I tried contacting Airbnb, calling them, but I did not receive a phone number from Help Center's Bot. I wrote them, over and over but I couldn't find any interlocutor to whom I can explain the situation. They sent me an email for the "Host Protection Insurance" form, which I believe irrelevant as I am the guest here. The Airbnb owner gave us the room next to it and we slept the night there.

It was our check-out day on the 6th and we tried turning the laptop on and it was still no good. We still had the keys to the flooded room. We wanted to see if we had left anything in there, and it was LOCKED. He clearly lied to us about us having the only keys. The owner did not see us on check-out day, but he texted that he has a friend who can help us in Vilnius, avoiding the question "will you cover the damage?". Later on, he sent us his friend's contact and address. My friend arrived there and it appears that the Airbnb owner did not even talk to his friend and charging her 160€, + he has to inspect the CPU too. Now I asked the flat owner once again if he will cover the damage. He is saying that he will if it is his fault, and asking if we have reported the problem to Airbnb already. 

I guess that's pretty much about it. I really hope some community members can share their experiences and knowledge. This was my first Airbnb experience, it was unfortunate to experience such an event, but the lack of Airbnb support made it even worse. 

5 Replies 5

@Özgür-Deniz0  In Airbnb jargon, "Host Protection" is just a touchy-feely term for "liability coverage."  It specifically applies to injury or damage suffered by the guest in the Airbnb rental. While it's helpful for the host to cooperate in the investigation, you as the guest may also initiate the claim. And that's exactly what you should do here.

As frustrating as it is to interface with a chatbot, you were not given the wrong instructions.

I initiated the claim, thank you. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can also claim on your travel insurance @Özgür-Deniz0 

Sorry, but how do I do that? @Helen3 

@Özgür-Deniz0 if you have personal travel insurance, or some kind of coverage by other means (such as an AmEx card) you must contact the provider for instructions on how to place a claim. This is not something that happens through Airbnb.