Guest scheduled to arrive tomorrow/no response from Guests

Guest scheduled to arrive tomorrow/no response from Guests

Hello Everyone,

I currently have a guest that is scheduled to arrive tomorrow Aug. 30th. I have tried numerous times to contact the guest via text and and email using the AirBnB platform. The last response that I have received from this guest was Sat. Aug. 15th. Since that time I have sent 2 additional texts ( they were opened) and 3 additional emails via the Airbnb platform and still no response from the guest. I have engaged Airbnb customer support to assist me in contacting the guest and Airbnb also responded that this guest has not responded to them (Airbnb) either. I have sent Airbnnb customer support another email chat over 2 hours ago and they still  haven't responded. Any and all suggestions as to how to proceed would be appreciated.  I am  seriously  now getting a bit uncomfortable with this reservation. Since I never received the additional guests name, additional deposit(per the guest suggestion)  and our signed rental agreement, we did not send this guest our directions or security code. They may have a general idea as to where we live but based on the above information what are my options here, if any?  Thank you! 

23 Replies 23
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Ellie331 

As you are mentioning a lease contract, it is probably a "long term reservation". You did everything you could to contact the guest.Even Airbnb can not make contact.  So no other option to just wait for a message from the guest or Airbnb.

Or ask Airbnb to cancel the reservation penalty free, if you feel uncomfortable about the situation.

But then you loose all the money involved, as cancellation policy (for "long term stay" 30 nights are not refunded) will not apply.

Best regards,

Emiel

@Emiel1 ...I have been hosting for over 8years and regardless of the length of the stay I require all my guests to sign a rental agreement prior to arrival. I have never had an issue before with guests signing and returning it to me, until this coming up reservation. It is that added layer of protection not only for our guests but for us and our property. I'm beginning to think there may  be more issues with this reservation. I was told by Airbnb that they will not cancel the reservation until 24 hours after checkin. Seems kind of odd that they would give the guest a full 24 hours to show up when they are void in any responses.

BTW...you are writing to me from one of my favourite countries. Love AMS and miss my monthly travels to your beautiful country! 

@Emiel1  I also forgot to mention that it was just a 3 night stay. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Airbnb are incorrect you can ask them to cancel penalty free at any time if you use IB if you feel uncomfortable with the guest or they don't meet your house rules.

If you have a rental contract presumably it's in your house rules that you require a signed copy? In which case you can use it not being signed as a reason for Airbnb to cancel penalty free @Ellie331 

@Helen3  Thank you for your response! Never did get a response  from AirBnB customer support chat. I sent them 2 messages yesterday asking for help with this peculiar reservation. 
I do know that if I cancel the guest gets a full refund and they also keep my days blocked. ( per AirBnB)   If guest cancels I will get the payout.  AirBnB will not cancel until 24 hours after the guest supposedly checks in and then they will release the 2 remaining days. Not helpful for me as I have a 3 day minimum and this is a preferred week. So we will see what today brings. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You need to call not message Airbnb. You can quote their T&C below. @Ellie331 

You will be able to cancel penalty free and have the dates unblocked at any time. Not just 24 hours after arrival.

When Instant Book is on, the following settings can help you control which guests can book and when you’re booked:

• House Rules: All guests will need to agree to your House Rules before booking. If you’re uncomfortable with a reservation, you can cancel penalty-free online, anytime.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Ellie331 

OK, then if it was my situation, i would wait...

If the guest never shows up, you still get the money and no cancel needed.

If the guest shows up he has to sign the lease, otherwise he or Airbnb need to cancel

Curious how things are evolving, please keep us informed.

BTW Yes, The Netherlands is a nice country. I live in the north, the best part ;>)

Best regards,

Emiel

@Emiel1 

Yes, thank you....since we never heard back from AirBnB we decided to wait and see if the guest shows up. We will have a rental agreement ready for them to sign, we also requested a deposit from them via (AirBnB haven't received) and the name  of the additional  guest staying with them as well. (Haven't received) . Just a very uncomfortable situation.  

@Ellie331  You also get your payout if the guests neither show up nor cancel. This is a pretty rare situation, but it does happen sometimes. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Anonymous 

Yes, this happened to me once. Pretty similar situation to @Ellie331 , except that I was not expecting a deposit nor rental agreement, just my standard requirements that the guest provides a check in time in advance and confirms that they have read the house rules.

This guest booked and then went completely silent. Never responded to a single message, text or call after that and Airbnb couldn't get hold of her either. I was worried something might have happened to her, but since she was unresponsive since booking, I reckon she just had a change of plans, realised she wasn't going to get a refund and so didn't bother cancelling. Would have been nice though to know she wasn't coming.

I didn't cancel the reservation. As @Helen3 said, @Ellie331 has enough grounds for getting a penalty free cancellation from Airbnb but only IF it was an instant booking. However, she would lose the full payment, which I don't think is fair at this late stage. 

Anyway, I got paid in full and never heard from the guest again.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Hi @Ellie331 , Did you know your listing is not visible? 

@Mike-And-Jane0  Yes, I have snoozed my listing for the time being. 

Many thanks to ALL who responded! I just received a msg from this guest stating that we’re phone was cracked /wet and it just now dried up.

I responded back saying that emails are accessible from any computer. 
Guest also said she confirmed the deposit from AirBnB however, I never received a confirmation that it was paid as it is still showing an open claim... 

I told her I needed the signed rental agreement and deposit before I will give her access to the property. Waiting to hear back! 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ellie331 Are you allowed (by Airbnb) to demand a rental agreement and deposit?