Guest sent an email about reservation.

Rasheda3
Level 9
KCMO, MO

Guest sent an email about reservation.

Hello all! .I have a guest coming this weekend for 1 night,  no reviews and will be in town for a football game as my home is very close to the sports complex. 

I communicate via the airbnb app about all reservations to protect myself,  but somehow the guest is emailing me saying 4 people will be coming and not just 1. She wants to add on the extra guest and wants to know how to change it. I messaged her through the app and no response yet,  I also called and no answer. I'm a little nervous as she has also asked for an early check in. Any advice on how to proceed? 

49 Replies 49
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Rasheda3 you could send her a change request. Many guests are new to the system and find it hard to navigate.

Thank you,  I just sent the request over!

@Rasheda3    I see two possibilities of what's going on here:

a)  First-time guest mistakenly forgot to input her guest count when booking, but legitimately intends to bring only a group of 4. If this sounds convincing to you, you may submit a change request, but insist that the group may only check in after confirming the request and additional charges (if any) and submitting the names of the other guests.

or

b) This is a Trojan Horse Guest that actually intends to take advantage of your relative newness as a host and bring a much larger group to the home for a messy, destructive post-game party. This happens so often, you really can't let your guard down - even if you allow the increased group size, you'll need to make it absolutely clear that nobody who isn't named, registered, and paid for in the booking will be permitted on the property at any time, and keep the home monitored (whether by external cameras or your own eyes) to back it up. One night's booking fee can't possibly compensate for what an out-of-control group is capable of doing to your lovely house.

Either way, don't feel obliged to allow the early check-in. Being politely firm about your boundaries early on helps set the tone that you might need to maintain in case there's any funny business. And for future requests, it's always suspicious when someone tries to book a whole 2-bedroom house solo, so make sure to check whether this was a mistake before accepting.

 Very detailed information,  THANK YOU!! 

This is her original message. There are no reviews for her and I've sent the change request and called with no response. I'm wanting to cancel as I do not feel comfortable with this booking. How can I do so and have the dates available for another guest?

**[Private conversation removed in line with Community Center Guidelines]

If I am not able to get in contact with the guest how do I go about canceling? I just don't have a good feeling about it

@Rasheda3  If you decide to cancel, contact Airbnb and  have them do a neutral cancellation...but if I had to guess, I would guess that when Airbnb contacts the guest they will suddenly become responsive.  Is there a way you can meet them in person at check in and at check out or send your cleaner to do it for extra $?  I didn't check your listing to see if you have any external cameras but if you do that will help you keep tabs on the guest keeping to the allowed number of guests. 

Yes I can meet them for both check in and check out. I'm just very nervous they may not be who they say. I would want someone else here with me just in case. 

I had a bad experience with a guest being in the home HOURS after check out before. Never again!

I do no have cameras yet. I'm getting them installed next week. 

@Rasheda3 If it was an instant book, you can just use one of your 3 penalty free cancellations on it. State you’re uncomfortable with the booking. If not, then it may be harder to get it cancelled. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rasheda3  "I communicate via the airbnb app about all reservations to protect myself,  but somehow the guest is emailing me..."

Are you saying the guest actually emailed you to your personal email address? If so, where did she get that information? Or did you just get an email notification from Airbnb with her message? Or are you calling an Airrbnb message an email?

 These are the "emails" that were sent to my personal email address. I have no idea how they were able to get this info

@Rasheda3  Ah, you are just a bit confused- the guest did not send you these emails.

When you get a message from a guest, Airbnb sends you an email notification of it. It may contain the entire message the guest sent, or it may be a truncated version if the message is long. 

It is just alerting you to the fact that there is a message awaiting you in your Airbnb inbox. 

You can't reply directly you those emails, because they aren't emails sent to you by the guest, they are just Airbnb alerts. To answer them you have to go to your Airbnb inbox. 

I hope that was a clear explanation?

thank you,  but I am not confused. There are no messages from this guest within the airbnb messaging. This is my 8th guest so I'm very familiar with how I recieve notifications/ emails. 

I have communicated via the messaging app for airbnb and called the guest. No answer. 

Screenshot_20211207-132744_Airbnb.jpg

 my messaging inbox on airbnb with the same guest. None of these messages are there