Guest sent an email about reservation.

Rasheda3
Level 9
KCMO, MO

Guest sent an email about reservation.

Hello all! .I have a guest coming this weekend for 1 night,  no reviews and will be in town for a football game as my home is very close to the sports complex. 

I communicate via the airbnb app about all reservations to protect myself,  but somehow the guest is emailing me saying 4 people will be coming and not just 1. She wants to add on the extra guest and wants to know how to change it. I messaged her through the app and no response yet,  I also called and no answer. I'm a little nervous as she has also asked for an early check in. Any advice on how to proceed? 

49 Replies 49

@Rasheda3  Note the domain of the email address that the email from Catherine is coming from - that's one that's automatically generated with messages sent from within Airbnb's system. That's a good thing - it means the correspondence is recorded by Airbnb, even if it's not appearing in the chat on your mobile device. Using the desktop version of Airbnb should clear that up - the app is crap, and it doesn't always load messages in real time.

There's not a clear case for a penalty-free cancellation here - it's not an instant booking, there are still several days before the scheduled check-in date, and the guest is not required to respond to messages or accept the booking change instantly. If your concern is that the guest isn't who they say they are, you can lay out your requirements for check-in:

-  All registered guests must present IDs matching the names submitted

-  No additional people are present

It would be easier for you overall if those terms were in your House Rules, so you have a firm policy to refer back to.

Thank you so much @Anonymous  I will update my house rules with this information.

The message she sent asked for my address.  That is shown once they book so I'm confused as to why she's asking for my address. 

@Rasheda3  That's about what you'd expect from someone whose entire request message consisted of only "going to the game." This lady is not the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

She's set very low expectations for her performance as a guest, and if you're lucky she might just barely live up to them. If you're not able to get out of this booking without penalties, the best you can do is hold it by the scruff of its neck and force it to behave. But in the future, don't forget that the initial communication tells you far more about the guest than the profile or reviews. Wasn't it Maya Angelou who said, "when someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time."

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Omg I needed that laugh! @Anonymous I called airbnb support to let them know my concerns. I'll call later today if I don't hear back to see if I can cancel.

So I just called the number and sent a text that's listed,  it's a landline!!! I'm calling right now to cancel the reservation. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Anonymous 

Absolutely right.

@Rasheda3 

I would never accept any booking with an initial message like that, but maybe that's just me. Try to do a bit more vetting of your guess before you accept. Okay, you don't have long because Airbnb only gives you 24 hours, which I personally don't think is fair, but it's still enough time to at least try to find out a bit about the guest before accepting their booking.

If they are not responsive, it doesn't necessarily mean they will be a bad guest as they probably don't know the clock is ticking but if their non-responsiveness is coupled with other red flags, pay attention to that.

@Rasheda3  Sorry, I misunderstood. But quite often hosts refer to guest messages in their Airbnb inbox as "emails", so it can be confusing what a poster is talking about.

It seems like a glitch, then, that the messages weren't also visible in the Airbnb inbox. 

@Sarah977 no problem! Thank you for your input I appreciate it 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Contact Airbnb tell them you are uncomfortable with the guest because of the last minute change in booking numbers and guest has not responded to accept the additional people. Tell them she hasn't responded to requests to amend the booking or tell you who the additional guests are.

If you want to go ahead, if the guests accepts the amendment, say you need the names of the guests on the booking  and confirm that you will meet her and the other three guests on arrival to help with the check in process. Remind her as the lead guest she is responsible for her guests at the property and them abiding by any quiet time rules you have, only guests booked being at the property etc. 

Don't feel you need to meet requests for early check ins. 

Thank you so much, I'm calling right now to cancel. The phone number they have is a landline. I don't feel comfortable at all. 

@Rasheda3  Believe it or not, there are some people who still only have landlines. So that part isn't really a red flag, although it makes it impossible for you to text to the number. But there's so much else to be concerned about with this booking, that the phone number is kind of immaterial.

I just canceled it without penalty! I feel much better

@Rasheda3  Congratulations, glad this one worked out for you!

I still recommend changing your rules to prohibit unregistered guests, especially if that nearby stadium makes 1-night bookings (huge party magnets, regardless of the rules) important to your business. This won't be the last time you get a dodgy request, and Airbnb won't always back you up. There are other platforms for people to rent spaces to hold a "dinner" - you're giving strangers from the internet the keys to your house, and you need guests who respect the gravity of the trust that entails. You stand to lose a lot if that trust is misplaced, and you can't count on Airbnb to cover the losses.

Thank you so much,  @Anonymous for all your help and information.  How should I proceed from here? Turn off instant booking, require 2 night minimum for all guest? 

I have a screenshot of the guest messages after I canceled. They're not too happy

**[Private conversation removed in line with Community Center Guidelines]

@Rasheda3   Uh oh, she's turning you into Airbnb. I guess that means from now on, you're Airbnb.

I definitely recommend turning off Instant Book, at least until you've had enough guests that you know exactly what works best for your home and how to set the right parameters for it. A longer minimum stay might cost you some of the stadium business, but on the other hand it reduces the risk of parties and helps make sure each booking earns enough to be worth the time and labor that you commit to it. For me, 3 to 10 nights was the sweet spot, but with some trial and error I'm sure you'll find your own!