Guest taking food

Jess21
Level 10
Austin, TX

Guest taking food

Hi all, new host here and I need some advice. I had a guest stay for 4 days and, while he was extremely clean and friendly, he repeatedly ate my food and went through my pantry without permission. I offer a room in my home and I offer free Keurig use, but food is not included. He used my eggs, milk, pancake mix and syrup to make breakfast. He used my bread and lunch meat for lunch, and he ate yogurt each day. He never did it while I was around and I wouldn't have known except I had to clean up syrup today and I went through the trash to remove recyclables. Other than this he was a great guest, but I do feel that the food issue was really disrespectful. Should I mention it in the review? Right now I'm thinking I will just mention it in the private feedback section, but if you all think I'm overrracting I won't mention it at all. Please advise! Thanks!
52 Replies 52
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Weird

Not sure it is worth saying anything now, I would have had I seen it happening.

David

I've found that being more selective with who I let stay with me helps this issue. If someone has never used airbnb before and has no reviews, I may have a bit more of a conversation with them before I approve their stay. And, if it's someones first time I will walk them through how it works when I check them in, and be very explicit about what they are welcome to use (pots and pans, coffee/tea) and show them space in the fridge where they can keep their own food if they need it. This has worked well for me so far. Sorry this happened to you! Seems extremely awkward!

@Erin58I have been doing what you said regarding  being explicit about where each guest, and I, are to store food. I’ve done this for nearly two years. However, within the past couple of months we have been having issues with people eating our food anyway and even drinking our liquor and refilling the bottle with water. 

Have any others of you seen an increase in this behavior? What are you doing about it?  We cant sit home every moment of every day to catch her them in the act, so looking for ideas. 

Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Jess21 We've had that happen too and it's really annoying!! I wouldn't put it in the public review as all else was good with this guest, but would mention it to him in the private feedback. That way, he may think twice about doing it to another host. It was likely just a mistaken assumption on his part, with no malice intended (to give him the benefit of the doubt, but you do wonder). Note it in your House Rules, but also put up some signs. I've found putting up signs to be very effective - they have to be a good size, in bold face and placed right on the item involved - fridge door (i.e. Please do not eat host's food) and on the pantry door (i.e."Off limits to guests") in your case - because, let's face it, guests don't read the House Rules and listing description, but they do usually get the message if the sign is right in front of them.

I have signs all over the place now because I've found things just aren't intuitive to some people & common sense is lacking. Someone here even had to put a sign above her kettle saying "water only"!! Best of luck with your listing - your place is lovely! - Karen

@Karen-and-Brian0, notes! Yes, can work, but I put a paper sign inside the wood stove during the summer season when the fire is not to be used saying so. Yet... Once a guest actually used the note to help start a fire in there and when I came to clean, the note was but a memory.

@Sandra126 New note: Please do not use this note to light a fire. Thanks for a good laugh!

Haha! I have started using notes actually after makeup ruined towels and a guest doing approximately 10 loads of laundry for a 3 day stay....... this has been a great lesson for my patience so far! Thanks so much for your input 😉

Such great advice, Karen! Thanks so much. Bit of a learning curve so far but I'm getting there with the help of you lovely folks! Thanks again 😉

@Jess21 Yes, it's a bit of a steep learning curve I found, and I had to learn a few things the hard way in the beginning! Then I started to spend time reading these forums and I have learned a whole lot just from other people's experiences here. It's enormously helpful & has saved me from a few potential disasters I'm sure. All the best - Karen

Yes some guests are takers, they just go through life doing loads of laundry daily (using my own detergent too, oh dear) :), using the AC as if the whole house is a fridge, taking whatever they please ... when I cannot see or I am not home. That to me proves ill-intent, if you know it's wrong and you wait for a good time to do it when nobody can prove. I will adress it politely, maybe just as a light comment (for example: is there a problem with the AC in your room? Maybe the vent is closed or something fell over it?) but if they do not get the idea, I will tell them politely or remind them of the house rule. If the damage they cause is minimal as $ value, i might let it slide, but will reflect in their review, and I have no problem NOT recommending this guest to others in the future. I agree with the others' on new Airbnb guests, some act as if it's a very low proce hotel, where you can use and take and rip off the host, eventually asking them to move out so you can have the whole house for yourself. SMH 😕

Good idea about the signs, I have put some (About not throwing products in the toilet) however some still chose to ignore or ...cannot read!?!

Paula-And-Bernie0
Level 3
Winter Haven, FL

Hi there, what a lovely place! Your listing states fully stocked kitchen, and mentions the kitchen again in details. Maybe take that out of the description and add food in not included..

Best to you!

P.

Good eye @Paula-And-Bernie0! I missed the fully stocked kitchen. @Jess21 - maybe add "self-catering" and be a bit more clear about what guests have access to if you allow full use of your kitchen for guests to cook their own meals. I would be misled by the "fully stocked kitchen" to mean food as well, so maybe don't mention it to your guest this time - looks like an honest mistake?

Ah! My mistake, I thought "fully stocked kitchen" referred to only utensils, pots, pans, dishes. I can see how that would be interpreted. Thanks so much for the advice and I'll definitely change the description.