Guest that twisted Airbnb language now I’m out $140

Ann487
Level 4
Waterville, ME

Guest that twisted Airbnb language now I’m out $140

Hello Hosts, hoping to get some guidance. I don’t think calling customer service again is going to help.

I have 2 listing on the same rental, one listing with the kitchen, one listing without the kitchen (I just lock the kitchen door). 

My current guest booked my listing without the kitchen. From the minute he walked in he was very hostile and wanted to know why he didn’t get the kitchen. I explained he didn’t book the kitchen, I showed him his reservation but he still refused to believe me! I called  Airbnb CS, they explained he didn’t get the kitchen,  he said his confirmation msg said he booked the “entire place”. The CS said yes that was true, and advised me to give him the kitchen.

so my question is since this guy is obviously twisting Airbnb’s language why am I now out $140.00? Shouldn’t Airbnb reimburse me?

Thank you for your time, Ann

11 Replies 11
Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Firefox_Screenshot_2022-07-01T23-25-42.870Z.png

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

Hi Ricardo, unfortunately I couldn’t read your response, sorry

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ricardo85 

I haven't looked at your listings in detail, but I am not sure it's a good idea to list a place as 'entire home/apartment' if you are not going to include the kitchen, even if you specify that elsewhere on the listing. I am not surprised the guest got confused. 

What is your reasoning for doing this anyway? Are you offering the guests a lower price without the kitchen because it means you won't have to clean it/less utilities used? If so, guests who don't need a kitchen are probably not going to use it or use it much anyway, so why not just have one listing and one price?

Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Huma0 

It is @Ann487 's listings.

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Sorry, I thought you were the co-host because you posted the photos.

Someone else posted the photos

Yes I am getting older and weaker 🙄and I wanted to skip cleaning the kitchen if possible and a lot of guests really didn’t need a kitchen, so I thought win/win less work for me, less money for them. Yes I decided to de-activate the second listing. Believe me this guest was not “confused” he saw a loophole and took advantage. He was so hostile from the git go! I’ve had so many wonderful guests, I guess I didn’t realize that some guests just love a good con at another honest person’s expense, seems to be the trend in US now.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ann487 

Okay, I see. Still, I think it's better that you've deactivated the second listing, as Airbnb doesn't really have a category to choose from that fits with that set up and 'entire apartment' is a bit misleading. Sure, this guest may have known full well what he booked, but others might be confused. Also, some people are just a bit stupid, to be honest.

I had a guest once who, as soon as she arrived (hours past the agreed time, by the way), immediately demanded to know why the bathrooms were shared. I told her that was clearly stated on the listing. She didn't care. She wanted to know WHY.

Same guest then went on to claim that she had booked the 'pink room', not the room I was showing her. I don't have a pink room. I think she was drunk.

Ha ha, that is so funny but I bet at the time not-so-much! Thanks for the response.

@Ann487  A lot of people don't read the details, in future, if you want to continue to offer the apartment without the kitchen, I would simply start mentioning this in your greeting message.  'Thanks for bookingXXX'  'blah blah, I also wanted to make sure you were clear that your booking does NOT include kitchen access, the kitchen door will be locked'.  If  you have made an error and want to use the kitchen the cost for the reservation is an additional $$.

Ann487
Level 4
Waterville, ME

Yes great advice, but I was so traumatized by guest’s bullying behavior I de-activated the listing.