Guest threw party, clogged sink, called plumber and wants me to reimburse him...worried about review

Christina142
Level 4
California, United States

Guest threw party, clogged sink, called plumber and wants me to reimburse him...worried about review

Hi, I'm new to Airbnb and am looking for some advice.  A recent guest rented my home for a couple nights while attending a conference, I can tell by the security camera's he threw a party (which isn't allowed per my rules.)  We haven't exchanged reviews yet, and I haven't been able to get my property manager into the rental yet (they said they'd check on the house tomorrow morning.)  If it's relevant, this is a rental I own in another city and don't have an on-site property manager.  

He and his friends left Thursday, I just got this note from him toight (Friday) and don't know how to handle it.  "Hi, the stay was great and your house deserves certainly a five stars. There were wine glasses missing and we fixed that (we left a few from the conference), also, we left a wine opener. The only bad part we have to discuss is the sink discharge. It was plugged and we had to call the plumber that told us it wasn't his first time there and that the sink was plugged 20 feet in. He also had to replace the sink trap. As you can see in the picture it costed me 320$. We can settle this easily if you want to refund me or give me a discount for the next time. What do you think? Also, Airbnb normally doesn't make people taking out the trash. I would have done it if we didn't have our dinners and lunches on Wednesday. Other than that I'm very pleased with the place. Ciao!"

He then sent me a bill for $320 from Roto Rooter.  First, I understand Airbnb is run by reviews and a bad review is very hard on business.  Second, the wine opener and 8 crystal wine glasses were there the day before he and his friends arrived. Third, I don't understand why he didn't contact me as he had my cell and I could have sent my handyman over (which would have charged me a lot less.)  Fourth, Roto Rooter was at my property the previous month for another unit at the same address, where the tenant had broken something in the garbage disposal...nothing with the plumbing.  Fifth, since I'm not on-site, I ask the guests to put the trash cans on the curb for trash pickup and ask the guest to return them back to their storage space (I'm trying to figure out how to get someone else to do this, but my property manager isn't available on trash days.)  

The thing is, with this $320 bill and the cleaning, it will 0 out any profit on the booking, which I understand might be the price of doing business.  But, I'm wondering if this is normal.  I kindof feel like I'm being taken advantage of, but am very cautious of a negative review.  I can't seem to contact Airbnb to ask that the review for this booking be surpressed.  And, don't know what to do about the plumbing bill.  Any advice?  What would you do?

Thank you so much.  🙂

11 Replies 11
Christina142
Level 4

Oh, and the guest just messaged me on Airbnb just now, "Hey, I've sent you the receipt to your phone number because looks like Airbnb email doesn't send attachments. Did you receive it? I also try to put it attached to this one. As I said if you want we can settle it with a discount on the next stay. Can you have us next January during the same week?"

He wants to stay again next year?  I really don't want he and his friends staying next year since his stay looks like it's going to cost me money.

Guy is taking you for a ride. Apart from doing a party he wants your money. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Very weird, who would call a plumber out in such circumstances.

Just when you think you have heard it all something else comes along.

Easy stuff, you can call, tweet or facebook ABB, details listed here.

You do not know what the review will be if anything so you have nothing to complain about currently.

I would be concerned about what else you may find if the unit has yet to be inspected.

Is there any information about what the blockage was?

Pretty sure there is nothing in ABB rules about this, and without your prior authorisation I see no basis for such a claim.

Personally never be blackmailed by reviews.

David
Christina142
Level 4

I was able to get my property manager out to the unit yesterday (they've managed the property for years-and-years and I was lucky enough to inherit them when I purchased the property.)  My property manager found a dish-rag down the disposal.  Also the toliet plungers from the toilet was left in the kitchen and the kitchen rugs were soaked.  

They found an open window.  The dining room chairs were all over the downstairs area.  The wine glasses and wine opener where in the same spots they were before Marco and his friends came.  In fact they put there "donated" wine glasses taken from their conference in the glass cabinet next to the wine glasses I provide for my guests.

Also, all the trash cans were overflowing with plates and food containers from a catering company!  My manager says it looks like they threw a party and were drunk.  

I'm going to have to pay my property manger extra for extra cleanup and the guest still wants me to reimburse him for the $320.  

Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

its a whole year away - give him the discount

its better than giving a refund

or at least split it in half

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

@Christina142 taking out the trash is a normal way to live somewhere. Guests are supposed to do that. 

Christina142
Level 4

Thanks so much for the reply about the trash.  I thought maybe I'd done something wrong with requesting the guests take the trash out as I'm not onsite and live in a different city (the house is a "smart-house" and I manage a lot of the functions of the rental from my iPhone.)

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Christina142

I happily have no personal experience with reporting and needing to request guest damage refund from the security deposit, but looking at your listings I would generally say for the future to avoid unpleasantness happening:

- Security deposit!!!

- Extra guests: No charge = this is Airbnb's unfortunate formulation if you don't charge extra for anybody up to your max. no. of guests.

In the real world outside of Airbnb HQ it's an open invitation to bring others for free.

Better is to set pricing with extra person charge - for ex.

X amount for 5 or 6 persons and an extra guest charge after 6 persons. That makes "No charge" disappear.

- Add to house rules: Only booked and registered guests allowed on premises. Violation is grounds for cancellation.

- Get an onsite somebody who can eyeball your place and let guests know there is somebody like that. Otherwise it's the case of "mice dancing on the table while the cat is absent'.

I'd also get a security camera for the door.

Christina142
Level 4

Thank you so much for the advice!  I will definately add the "Only booked and registered guests allowed on premises. Violation is grounds for cancellation," to the rules.  I really like this.  

I have two security cameras on the property, but only check them when there are problems because they go off so often (cats, skunks, people walking by all set of the cameras.)

I do have a $300 security deposit from them.  Should I use it?  Won't I get a bad review?  I thought bab reviews were the kiss-of-death on Airbnb.

@Christina142

They probably then wouldn't give you a glowing review, but even if you don't they won't know what you wrote before they don't write their's.

In future make sure you keep the conversation on the booking message thread, even if to just confirm receipt of their phone texts. That way there's a record of things for Airbnb to actually see a history if they are in any way involved re. damages or a guest wanting a refund.

For good measure you could flag the guest to report that they were such bad guests. Then at least there's a note to Airbnb, but not sure what consequences that has.

Of course you can simply suck up the costs to keep a good Airbnb track record, but that way you'd be atoning their behavior (and I'm sure they know they weren't the best guests...) and setting future hosts up for this. 

Your decision.

In your shoes esp. as new host I'd call Airbnb and ask them about it. Tell them what happened and see what they say. That way too, there will be a track record  on your and hopefully guest's profile.

If they try to book again, you could for ex. decline their booking and right away send them a much higher Special Offer with a message saying thay there had been so much work the first time that you are forced to  charge them a higher fee than what your normal, tidier guests would. Or something like that.]

You could also be sneaky and add on another minimum night - from 2 to 3 - for example, unless you really want their business. This works by setting manipulation, a good tool you should learn:

Playing with settings for special offers

airbnb has rules against review extortion. It seems that he was trying to pressure you through that. A bad review can always be responded and I think is a way to let people know what you expect when they come to your place.