Guest took more than their share

Bonnie123
Level 2
Cottonwood Heights, UT

Guest took more than their share

Hi All! I have been hosting in SLC for a couple of months now and have had nothing but great experiences with guests. Our last guest however was a different story, and I'm looking for input as to how to handle the review or if I should just let it go. 

It started when she booked for 1 person. A few messages later of her using the "we" word, I asked again how many would be coming as she only booked for one. Turns out it was 2 and a dog. That's fine...we allow pets and don't upcharge for 1 extra person. It's just nice to know what to expect. Another message later and I'm informed she's also bringing a uhaul with a car towed behind it. Again, that's fine. I told her there wouldn't be room in the driveway for a uhaul, however, she could park directly in front of our home on the street. They didn't park where we requested when they arrived and instead parked diagonally across the street in front of a neighbors house. When politely asked to move the trailer so as not to disturb our neighbors, they were a bit rude but obliged. I then get a message asking if the fireplace is functional. I said yes, but it's wood burning, and it's quite warm out. I asked if I could turn up the thermostat for them or provide a space heater, which I did. This is all just to be clear on the communication and the experience. They were only booked for and here for one night. They never let me know what time they'd be arriving, although I always ask for an estimate in my messages. Instead I got a message around 7pm that said "there in 5". 

The next morning they were gone before 7am. They were here for less than 12 hours. This is the part that irritates and frustrates me the most. We provide breakfast snacks and coffee/drinks for our guests. No one has abused this thus far. We provide a cheaper than average listing for the area and we try to go above and beyond to make the little things nice. This particular guest stocked up on our provisions. They drank and/or took a case of water bottles, 6 breakfast juices, an entire box of muffins, multiple mini bathroom items that are provided in case a guest forgets something, several powerades, and they somehow filled up 4 trash bags with who knows what and left them throughout the space. They also took half the coffee creamers and almost emptied the sugar jar. 

My question is-how do i handle a review? These are all things we gladly provide for guests use. I guess I just feel a bit taken advantage of. They took more money in items than it cost for them to stay here. In other words, I am out money from their very short stay. The guest has 3 typical reviews thus far. Do I add a somewhat negative one to let other hosts know or do I just let it go? 

Thanks!

8 Replies 8

@Bonnie123 sorry you had to host these unpleasant people!

Maybe the U-haul is needed to carry all the extra water bottles and bathroom supplies they take from people.

In general, it is good for hosts to write reviews that are professional, factual, and brief. Limit yourself to things that can be documented and keep emotion out of it. The model is to be rather like a newspaper story. For instance, in this case you could perhaps write something along the lines of:

"We hosted (guest) for one night. While we leave breakfast snacks and drinks for our guests, the intent is for guests to just eat and drink their share while here. After (guest) checked out we discovered the following items missing: one entire case of bottled water, 6 breakfast juices, an entire box of muffins, multiple copies of mini bathroom items, several Powerade sports drinks, half the supplied coffee creamers, and almost all the sugar."

The review just reports what happened without making any value judgements or engaging in speculation as to the guest's motivations or poor upbringing. Future readers can make their own decision about how much they want to host these locusts.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

possible ideas...

xxxx had a brief overnight visit, (something positive) they were quiet and polite?, we did have some trouble with communication and direction following, the amount of garbage left behind and guest amenities consumed in a 12 hour visit was quite alot, perhaps a leisure visit that isn't a part of a house move will make for a better visit for their next host.

just depends on how much detail you want to leave. The other possibility is to make the words very generic "12 hour guest" "better suited to hotel" or such and then more specific on Stars & Thumbs up/down

@Bonnie123

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I like @Kelly149's suggestions, either or. 

Bonnie123
Level 2
Cottonwood Heights, UT

Thanks Matthew and Kelly! Those are all helpful suggestions. 

@Bonnie123

As long as you focus on the facts and that based on your own experience you would not want to host those people again you can be as detailed or as vague as you want - BUT as a fellow host, I hope you do leave an honest review that reflects the type of guest they were. 

Personally if it were me, I think I'd go with a mix of @Matthew285 's and @Kelly149 's suggested reviews. 

Bonnie123
Level 2
Cottonwood Heights, UT

I ended up going with this....

" A and her companion were quiet and polite.

While we do leave provisions (drinks, snacks, toiletries, etc) for our guest's use, it is intended that guests will enjoy their fair share and leave the rest for the next guest. The amount of trash left behind and provisions consumed was quite a lot for such a brief 12 hour stay.

Perhaps a leisure visit instead of a stopover while moving(?) will make for a better communication and hosting experience for their next host.

Their dog seemed well-behaved and quiet as well, which was appreciated."

I used a combo approach of the above ideas. I wanted to leave accurate feedback for other hosts to be aware of, but also didn't want to be tooo harsh on the guests. Thanks for the help! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

If it were me, I'd say I hope they enjoyed their FREE stay, as the provisions they made off with equalled what they paid for the booking.

Maybe next time (altho none of your previous guests have been so presumptuous) you should only leave enough amenities for what you think is reasonable for the # of people and the length of stay. Guests can always ask for more if they run out. 

Ever5
Level 2
Tijuana, Mexico

I feel you should post an honest review. I would love to have heads up to able to decline that type of a guest. It's people like that that give this business a bad rap. I would like to be able to decline a potential guest who might do this in my home. I charge about 15 dollars a night and I've had the same happen where they take about the same as you earn and you break even or lose $. I am now learning I can choose who I book. I didn't know that.