Guest tried to blame me for pre-existing injury

Kurt107
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

Guest tried to blame me for pre-existing injury

Hi All I just want to share a bad experience I had with a guest in case it helps anyone avoid a similar situation. The guest requested to book a private room in my home. In the first message she mentioned that she noticed the shower was in the bath tub and asked me to buy a bath mat because she felt it was safer. This is not something that had occurred to me before bit I did as she asked and accepted the booking. When she arrived, within 15 minutes she asked where the nearest hospital was in case she had an accident and also wondered whether she would be treated free of charge. After having a shower the day after arriving she claimed she twisted her ankle getting out of the bath tub and needed to go to the hospital. I told her which bus she could take to get there. When she returned to the flat after having been away for over 12 hours I asked her if she went to the hospital. She said no. The next morning she asked me to order her an Uber because the app wasn’t working on her phone and she needed to go to the hospital. At that point I decided this guest was not worth the trouble and told her no. She proceeded to disturb my other guests asking them if they could get her an Uber. She left the flat claiming she would complain to Airbnb about her injury and would return to London to sue me if necessary. Once she left the flat I contacted Airbnb and told them about the situation. She also contacted them and claimed she was on her way to the hospital. I asked Airbnb to cancel the remaining night on her booking and advised them the only way she could re-enter my property would be if she was accompanied by the police. I also communicated this to the guest. She returned to the flat without the police but with a man whose voice I heard but did not see since I barricaded my door to prevent her from entering. It took a long time for the police to arrive and in that time Airbnb advised I could pack up her stuff and hand her suitcases to the police in exchange for my keys. While I was packing up her stuff I came across x rays and letters from doctors which demonstrated her ankle had been injured before she even arrived in London. Basically, she booked my place with the sole purpose of claiming she had been injured here to get an insurance payout. Unfortunately for her, she came for the wrong host. Airbnb shortened her stay, refunded her for the last night which didn’t bother me in the least and she was not allowed to leave a review. 

14 Replies 14
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Kurt107 

I'm on Airbnb for 3,5 years and about 3 years a regular member of this community forum. I thought I've already heard all stories and scenarios but now I see I was wrong 😄

You did the right thing in these weird situations, good for you.

But, it's a common knowledge that guests who ask for special treatment ( to buy a bath mat for them or whatever) are bad guests and should be avoided at all costs.

Is there a raging virus going around?   In the last few months I have gotten more than my fair share of this type of guest: once in a blue moon is all but expected, it's  the price of dealing with the general public.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Kurt107 

Getting you to call an Uber was an attempt by her to inculcate you into an  acceptance  of culpability.

Would you like to share this piece of trash name with us?

Kurt107
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

@Cormac0  I don’t think I can share the name just be careful with people who ask for special treatment as @branka-and-silvia0 mentioned 

Hi everyone,

I’ve only been hosting a few months and it never crossed my mind that something like this could happen. Do I need to take out special insurance or would my home insurance cover someone you are hosting for injury?

@Miriam531 

Have you told your insurance company that your doing short term letting, if not it probably invalidates your insurance cover.

Lori199
Level 2
New Smyrna Beach, FL

I’m a realtor and prop Mgr unfortunately this is prevalent you need a trust or LLC for a property to protect yourself and your assets personally, talk to a lawyer and insurance for liability 

Olga345
Level 2
New York, NY

Hello 

very troubling with guests like that 

Anyone can recommend what is best short term insurance in USA  in Connecticut area ? 

i realized even with airbnb insurance it is always better to have additional short term rental coverage of your home 

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

Omg what a waste of time. This guest had a plan before she booked with you. 

Kurt107
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

@Kira32  She definitely did and might’ve gotten away with it if she’d been smarter and didn’t ask so many questions about safety, the nearest hospital and free health care. Terrible con artist 😂😂😂

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

@Kurt107 Same here!

A guest asks me: what if I lose the keys..... where do you make these keys? I already asked a key maker but you need to go to a special one.....

Me: I ordered the keys from Ali Express. I takes 3 months to have it made so you better not lose it!!!!!!!!!

(Good talk!)

Smart guy tried to duplicate my keys.  He turned into a couch potato after investigating the whole area for same key maker. 

I have great respect for Guests with a mission LOL!

Kira

Host

cleaner

mental issues coach

babysitter

clown

Starla1
Level 2
Newcastle, WA

I had a last minute booking.  The couple seemed very nice  when I met them.  The guy said he got up in the middle of the night several times to smoke outside at his truck.  He said he slipped on the water that supposedly was leaking from the dishwasher that was running when he arrived.  My friends had put it on and were staying with me upstairs.  He called the next morning (only stayed for one night) and told me the story of hitting his head hen he fell.  He kept saying to me "You're a really nice lady and I don't want to sue you" , but because I couldn't sleep and got a concussion I just want my nights stay to be refunded. He showed my friends the water coming from the dishwasher which he staged - bubbles everywhere!  He used dishwashing soap unbelievable!  I rushed home to see what was going on and by the time I got home Airbnb called me stating they were refunding my guest the monies as he told them his story.  I told them what I thought he was trying to do and they basically believed me, but refunded him.  Well he scammed us, but I never heard from him again.  

Jacqui16
Level 2
Worcester, United Kingdom

So sorry to hear of these terrible stories. I agree with hosts who recommend being guarded about potential guests who make unusual requests. I’m a bit alarmed about the comments regarding insurance as I was under the impression Airbnb covered us but I will check my policy. 

To give other hosts a bit of hope I have had over 280 guests to date and so far no situations like those described at all but I recognise even 1 guest like that causes great stress and undermines our trust in others. 

Debbie60
Level 2
Los Gatos, CA

Pretty unbelievable what lengths some people will go to.  What a shame.