Guest unable to make payment to Airbnb

Peter29
Level 3
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Guest unable to make payment to Airbnb

I have a potential guest who has been trying to make payment to Airbnb in order to confirm the reservation. Apparently this has not been successful and her booking keeps getting canceled. She has offered to pay offline but I have declined. Has anyone experienced this before?

172 Replies 172
Mats8
Level 1
Östergötlands län, Sweden

I had the same issue.

Some small tips:

- Check that the card actually can do payment in that country. Or rather AirBnb's bank. My card is for example closed for all countries except EU.

- Some cards do have a limit on how much can be payed in a 30 days time. There could be one for Internet and second for ATM. I had to increase my for Internet to get the payment through.

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Peter29 Never, ever agreed to accept payment off of the Airbnb platform as you can be scammed and worse, your account can be removed by Airbnb for violations of its Terms of Service. 

Although rare, it sometimes happens that guests cannot pay due to a variety of problems with their credit card.  I can think of a dozens of scenarios where this could happen.  If, for whatever reason, a guest's credit card is rejected, just move on and consider yourself lucky that Airbnb is dealing with it so you don't have to.   🙂

B.S. AirBnB blocks cards randomly which work everywhere else. In other instances, your bank blocks certain websites. It's happened to be many times.

Ivone11
Level 4
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Ive been trying to make a payment for the past hour and the page just wont go anywhere. Please do not assume we all trying to scam people. Thats veru unpleasant. Take care

Hi @Ivone11 I would never think you were scamming! Far from it!

Is this happening on the check out page? 

Sometimes, when Airbnb's payment processing partners are experiencing technical issues (downtime), this can result in unsuccessful completion of payments in the system. If you are experiencing either a nonstop spinning wheel and/or error message, there are a few workaround options to try.

You can either try to complete the payment in a few hours, or try using a different payment method. If you try to use a different payment method, you may want to add it to your account first, for auto-populating into checkout page. For now, these are the best options for resolving this matter.

If you are concerned with any timeframe constraints or losing the dates on this listing, I would advise reaching out to the host via the "Contact Host" link on the listing page to message them about the issue. You can let the host know what's going on, that it's a confirmed system issue, and you are hoping to confirm the booking in a few hours.

The host can then save the dates for you, or send a Special Offer/Pre-Approval to ensure the dates are being offered to only you (for completion of booking within 24 hours).

Please let me know if these suggestions work for you. 

Clare

Clare,

I've tried using two different cards through two different banks (whose accounts are both clear) and both cards are unable to process. I've tried going to my account settings page and adding the card first, and that says "unable to process at this time." One of the cards I've used before for airbnb bookings, so it has worked in the past. I'm just concerned with not giving my host proper time to set up with this delay in payment!

Any other suggestions?

Hi @Aryelle0. Please tell me, what kind of device are you using? App or web browser?

I recommend using a web browser, preferably Chrome or Firefox.  If you are already using one of these, try refreshing the page or clearing your cookies.  

Let me know if this works for you.  Also please use the "@" sign in front of my name so I will be notified that you are sending me a message.  

Thanks!

Jurone0
Level 1
Byron Bay, Australia

Legend Claire, I was having issues with payments but clearing my cache worked. THANK YOU 😃 

My wife tried to book a place in Orlando last week.  Now, mind you...we’ve used Airbnb twice before with no problems.  The payment page kept giving errors no matter what payment method we used ( multiple credit cards, PayPal, etc...). So, I opened an Airbnb account the following day, and it did the same to me.  This is definitely an Airbnb issue.  So, we had to book a hotel for $200 as opposed to $100 if our Airbnb booking had went through.  We spoke to Airbnb customer service, and that was totally worthless.  They claimed they had no idea why it was happening.

I have exactly the same situation. I have been trying to pay our reservation in Bremen but it just doesn’t go through. There is nothing wrong with my card, nor with my PayPal account. It just doesn’t work. And yes, until now Airbnb customer service has indeed been totally worthless. This is soooo frustrating!

it doesnt work. i tried clearing cookies caches, tried log out and log in back, even remove my payment and clarify with bank and airbnb and add back my bank card details.. before this happened, it did not deduct and the bookking wasnt succesful so i kept trying.. after i tried each one of this solution, i tried booking, payment has been successfully deducted but booking wasnt successfull and my money will take standardized working days to get back the amount of money.. very bad experience with airbnb when it comes to making payments. and this isnt the first time..

I tried booking and it said there was something wrong with my card, yet they took the money out and my account said that I had cancelled my reservation (even though it wouldn’t let me book). I’ve been waiting for two hours now to speak to someone 

Debby11
Level 1
Ipoh, Malaysia

I am experiencing it now that my potential guest is trying to make booking multiple time but when I clicked accept , Airbnb replied that they are unable to receive payment from the guest and thus gave 24 hours grace period and put my booking under awaiting payment and the date with the guest picture shown in Gray not the usual Green.  Is so frastrating and we can't get to contact Airbnb to verify and help in this matter. 

Ivone11
Level 4
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Did they manage? I then 48hrs later managed on the app to do the payment, but got no clarification from airbnb of ehat was going on. They did not identify any issue. Thank God host was amazing and kept the property on hold for us. Good luck!

Nurten0
Level 1
Ankara, Turkey

I have been trying to do the payment in the last four days. I am really excausted. I spend half day in my bank and they told me that there should be no problem. But somehow my payment is not aıthorized and I keep receiving a message that some details are not matching. I really dont know what to do 😞