Guest uncertainty about arrival date

Susanna328
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Guest uncertainty about arrival date

Hi fellow hosts. Please, does anyone have experience managing a booking where the guest (after one cancellation and several changes) has said they won't arrive on the booked date, but possibly two weeks later. Multiple reasons have been given for changes and delays, but I sense the underlying issue may be waiting for visa. I'm exhausted with trying to get AirBnB support with this (have waited 3 days for chat adviser who went off duty). Sensible advice, anyone?

4 Replies 4
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Susanna328 

No, I haven't had that issue, but if they've cancelled, they've cancelled. Right? 

Is it the refund you're worried about? 

If they can't fulfil their booking, then they either cancel or just not show up. And if you're not available when they can arrive, then they have to find something else. No need to beg Airbnb support. 

Or did I miss something? 

Hi Elaine, many thanks for responding. In the end, I did need and use AirBnB support successfully.  The agent was able to help me negotiate through getting the late-arriving person to change their arrival date on the system with no penalty. Now my calendar is freed up and I can host other visits in the interim. All well now!

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Susanna328 Good grief, what a load of trouble already, and the stay hasn’t even begun. Direct the guest to cancel, since they can’t make the dates they booked, and then block them so they can’t try to rebook new dates. 

You’re never under any obligation to accept a request to change dates. If you do, it’s a good idea to stipulate that it’s a one time only courtesy.

If the guest won’t cancel, and is instead angling to take advantage of your good will for another date change, then I suppose you’ll have to wait for airbnb, to help you with a penalty free cancellation. You could cancel it yourself, but you’ll be penalized and the dates blocked. 

Thanks Colleen for your response and understanding! Yes, it has been a stressful time. Now sorted, fortunately, as a support agent enabled me to get the guest to formalise their arrival date change, and avoid a penalty (no refund for staying fewer days, either).