Guest verification

Rosemary12
Level 9
Burnaby, Canada

Guest verification

How much does AirBnB check the verification? I have had a request to host a couple who listed their home location as Canada but when checking his Facebook page it is obvious they are not from here and there is no Facebook activity for a year or current employment. He indicates that he is a "typical tourist". He is a new member (June 2016) so there are no reviews to check.  Is there a polite way to ask him for clarification?

2 Replies 2
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Rosemary12 Do you have Verified ID turned on as a reservation requirement?  The lack of Facebook activity wouldn't bother me.  Many people set up FB accounts and then never use them.  Their domicile may have changed since they set up their FB page a few years ago. 

I would ask more about their plans during their stay to make sure your place is the right fit.  Get the guest to talk with you.  If you still feel uncomfortable, you can decline the request. 

Lack of reviews or being new to Airbnb in and of itself would not bother me.  I've hosted guests with no reviews and they have been really great.

Go with your gut feeling!

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

To be clear - verification is not a background check. It just attempts to prove that the person is the person named. 

Nothing more....

About 50% of our guests are first time AirBnB guests and have no reviews. People have to start somewhere I guess.

We go on gut feeling - ask whatever questions you want to ask - their reason for visiting, what the will be doing while they are there, how many in the party, etc..