Guest wants refund for cancellation on Long Stay

Answered!
Ioana8
Level 2
Mexico City, Mexico

Guest wants refund for cancellation on Long Stay

My guest is letting me know, five days prior to his arrival, that he must cancell his 35 days reservation due to family health problems. I have no issue allowing for the refund as he has explained to me his circumstances and I understand his needs (even though it cost me another Long Stay reservation that I declined a week ago). However, due to Airbnb policies on Long Stays he will not get a full refund. He is asking me to cancel the reservation myself, which I do not want to do as I'm about to become a Super Host and I believe it would force me to pay the Airbnb fees my self (not sure about this).

This is the first time ever someone wants to cancel a reservation with me, so I'm at a lost as what I should do. Any tips?

1 Best Answer
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

If he indeed has extenuating circumstances, the guest can contact Airbnb directly to cancel without penalty.  855-424-7627

Like others have said, DO NOT CANCEL on your own.

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Do not cancel the reservation. Tell you guest he must cancel. Then you can decide if you wish to give him any refund. Or you can say that you are happy to refund him for any nights you will sell. It's up to you.

Right, but he keeps insisting that Airbnb will not refund him at all, so he doesnt want to do it. It has come to the point where it feels something is fishy about this whole thing, and I dont want to end up paying for anything in any way if I'm not responisble.

Just tell him to contact AirBnB and plead his case. Let him know that you will not cancel for him and that you are disengaging from the conversation.

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

If he indeed has extenuating circumstances, the guest can contact Airbnb directly to cancel without penalty.  855-424-7627

Like others have said, DO NOT CANCEL on your own.

Wendy-and-Sol0
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

Like others have said, DO NOT CANCEL YOURSELF.  You will be penalized in more ways than one way. Your:

-listing visibility will be affected negatively,

-super host will be removed, and I believe you won't be able to regain the designation for another year,

-profile under review will state "host cancelled 5 days before reservation. (which may make other guests nervous about booking with you leaving you with more income loss)

Airbnb may be requiring proof of whatever he is claiming is his emergency.  If he can't produce it, he needs to find other means of getting his reservation cancelled, this may be why he is insisting you cancel on your end.

I would highly recommend you keep all communications via bnb messaging system that way when he or you call airbnb they can reference what each of you have said.

Since your listing has been blocked for the dates he was scheduled to stay since he booked, you may have lost the opportunity to have other guests book. I think what some previously suggested is fair.

Let Airbnb handle the cancellation portion with him. Tell him as soon as he does that, Airbnb will "unblock your calendar for the dates he was scheduled to stay with you." At the end of the 35 days, you are happy to refund him for any amount you were able to rebook with other guests.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it turns out.

Dear XXX,

I am sorry to hear about your family emergency. Unfortunately I am not able to cancel your reservation. Please contact Airbnb directly to inform them of your emergency. They will take the appropriate steps to process your cancellation and refund.

As far as the additional refund, as soon as you cancel, Airbnb will unblock the dates for your reservation. Should I be able to rebook for any of the dates of your reservation, I will follow up with Airbnb to provide the refund.  I will follow up one day after your scheduled check-out to confirm the refund amount should I be able to rebook. Thank you for your understanding. I hope your family member has a speedy recovery.

This is not totally related to the situation, but the cancellation policy may have changed. Yesterday on Jan 11th 2017, I cancelled a reservation made for 4 days in July 2017 which is 6 months away. My reason is that smart pricing had gone on without my knowledge and that the summertime prices are higher. Airbnb informed me hosts are now allowed 3 cancellations in a year. I also just got superhost status yesterday too and there is no notice on my page that I cancelled someone. 

Tracy-Lee0
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

I have had my first cancellation on a long term stay. The guest booked and blocked out 6 months on my calendar, and then found another place on Airbnb they preferred and cancelled my booking, which was on Moderate Cancellation Policy. I do not know what potential bookings I have lost for that 6 months. Nonetheless, Airbnb partially refunded her, and then she sent me a Money Request for the amount that was held back, which I have not received yet, and which will probably only be paid out in a month to me - if I am to receive those dunds, I am not sure. The guest is now pressuring me to refund her that amount, claiming it is my fault and that she only thought she was booking for one month (which still falls under Long Term Stay Policy). Should I refund her? I have until tommorow to accept or decline her request. What are the consequences of declining? And what are the consequences of doing nothing with regards to the request?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would decline @Tracy-Lee0

Have a look at the long terms cancellation policy - I think she is liable for the first month.

Just decline her request - there are no consequences.

You are not liable for the guest changing their mind. They are.

Just refer her back to Airbnb who are handling her cancellation. Don't get into discussions with her.

Hilary-And-Ed0
Level 10
Brookline, MA

Hello @Ioana8,

Not only should you not cancel as you will be penalized significantly, also beware, that if you get a message "guest requests you to cancel", do not click "accept".  Even though this feels like the guest is cancelling, it still would count as yu cancelling, and you will be penalized.  Decline this request if you get it.  The guest can do the whole thing on his own.  

For sure.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Ioana

DON'T CANCEL, without wishing to sound unkind it’s his problem let him sort it out, as Host our responsibility begin when the guest arrives and finishes when they leave.

Do you as Host need to cancel this booking, the answer is No so why would you do that?

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

The Explorer's Club Krakow VIII

Cedars-0
Level 1
Minneapolis, MN

If someone is staying 41 days and needs to switch days, is there a fee for changing dates or can I just adjust them myself?