Guest wants to alter

Eduardo1262
Level 2
Houston, TX

Guest wants to alter

Hello guys so today a guest arrived in one of my private rooms in the back apartments  and she did not like it. She was booked for a 30 day stay and that money  that was paid out to me will help  alot with my monthly lease .She wants to alter to the least amount of days. How do I respond? How do I handle this situation.

7 Replies 7
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Eduardo1262 

30 nights is a "long term stay" reservation. It has the "long term stay"cancellation policy attached. Which means by the rules it can be cancelled or changed, but NOT with any refund. Unless you make some deal with the guest about the situation. What does she mean by "the least amount of days" ?  (it is the nights she stayed already + 1 ). If you both decide shorten is best solution ("change" option), always do the change yourself to check and/or ammend the (by the system calculated) price.

BTW if your guest "only does not like the room", she can also decide to cancel it and leave (but no refund).

@Emiel1  I have a strict cancellation policy. I read on airbnb help that if they want to cancel or change the dates it is better for them to send the alteration. 

Emiel1
Level 10

@Eduardo1262 

Any stay of 28 nights and longer has the "long term stay" cancellation polic, overruling the default policy set for short term stays. Cancel: must be done by the guest, Change can be done by the guest or the host (host has more option to control, like amending the price)

@Emiel1 so she just asked how would the refund work, do I just say it is a 30 day monthly stay and the rules state for long term stays can be canceled or changed but no refund.

Emiel1
Level 10

@Eduardo1262 

The guest knows she will get no refund when she cancels, the policy is clear and she confirmed on it at time of booking:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1361/how-do-changes-and-cancellations-work-for-longterm-reservat...

It is up to you if you want to give some refund voluntary. It is not clear to me why the guest "does not like the room".

@Emiel1 she does not feel "comfortable".  I have a guest in the bedroom next to her. Not sure if that is that but she did say she will not bash me for a bad review and she stays with her family in a "country club" and expected it to be super luxurious? I have no idea but what are the chances of getting a bad review? I told her I have a strict policy and the monthly policy goes into play. I told her I can give a percentage but not a full one if the dates she will cancel get booked.

hello @Eduardo1262  I had a guest around this time last year who booked for over 28 days to get a cheaper rate. He ended up going back to the country he had previously been based.

I gave him a fair and more than reasonable partial monetary refund which he was bitter and twisted about.

Best if you put things in writing and Use the Alteration to Booking, keep things amicable as she sounds as if she may be a reasonable person.

Whilst you are in no way legally obliged to give a refund, you could always suggest that perhaps she come back and stay another time when the other Guest has gone and use the balance days that way.

All the best