Guest wants to change number of guests and bring air mattress

Mark-And-Mary-Jane0
Level 1
Charlottesville, VA

Guest wants to change number of guests and bring air mattress

New host here.  My Airbnb is set to take 4 guests (one king bed and one double sofa bed).  I have a guy in his early to mid-twenties who has no prior host feedback although he is verified.  I approved him for a weekend in April.  Now he sent me a request to up his reservation from one guest to four.  I wrote and asked him for more info on his guests and told him our sofa bed is only a double.  He didn't say who the others were, only that they're in town for a college sports tournament and they will be bringing an air mattress in addition to using our king bed and sofa bed.  I didn't realize the 24hour decline rule so it's been a couple hours past that.  I'm worried they will be drinking and partying and turning my adorable cottage into a frat house.  I don't know where they would even put the air mattress because the place is so small.  Should I decline or will I be penalized? Thanks!

4 Replies 4
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark-And-Mary-Jane0

You can decline the requested change - tell him that you don't allow people to bring additional beds into the property and suggest (nicely) that if he wishes to book so we where else you will refund anything you may be due under your cancellation policy. That's my suggestion...

@Gerry-And-Rashid0 hello in our listing it say 3 guests,i had a woman with 3 children who wanted to stay with us and asked me thr possablity of bringing her three small children 3,5, and 6 months.she was very upfront and honest.because of the rainy weekend she canceled.i will let her stay if she was to ask again but i also directed her to 2 other airbnb places in the area that are larger.i find that talking to the guest first before they book to work all the time.i also wanted to thank you for your fantistic posts and new hosts must read the airbnb rules its pretty simple.

Jennifer178
Level 10
Philadelphia, PA

Hi @Mark-And-Mary-Jane0, I would most definitely decline the request.  You can tell him that while you do accept up to four people, your approval was based on one person.  You are not comfortable with a group in town for a sporting event.  Tell him you do not want the furniture to be moved around.  You are very serious about quiet times and any kind of partying is not allowed.  Since you are right there, you are in a position to enforce these points.  You requested info/names on the others and it was not provided.  Mentioning some of this stuff will make him go running. They will not want to feel as if they are being monitored.  

I do not see why you would be penalized for declining a reservation change.  But then who knows what the fellow will say or if he will complain.  Offer a full refund to eliminate the hassle. Also be aware that if he is coming for a tournament, others are as well. Ask lots of questions of any other potential bookers.

Mark-And-Mary-Jane0
Level 1
Charlottesville, VA

Thanks for all your help!  We will politely decline the reservation.