Guest was a THIEF and AIRBNB wont cooperate with police.

Madeleine52
Level 1
Salt Lake City, UT

Guest was a THIEF and AIRBNB wont cooperate with police.

In mid- January I had a guest automatically book my house, the "Artist's Delight."  It was my first booking after working on the house for over 6 months to get it ready.  The guest profile named 'Doris' texted me and said she was almost to the home at about 9pm.  About an hour later, Doris cancels for no reason.  At that time I didn't realize that my assistant who did some final cleaning on the home had left his wallet and keys in the kitchen.  We have never had issues with theft at the home or in the neighborhood - where I have several homes.

The next morning my assistant calls and says his wallet and keys were stolen and that the thief had charged up over $1800 on his three credit cards.  We reported it to the police, and asked them to contact AirBNB.  I also notified AirBNB via private message to express concern about the burglery.  AirBNB did not respond.  Now, three weeks later the police say that AirBNB denies that our home is even listed and still will not cooperate.  The thieves are much more diligent - they have returned and stolen my assistant's car using keys they have previously stolen.  Luckily the car was recovered after about a week, and much damage to the car, but still AirBNB is non-responsive.

Does anyone know why AIRBNB would encourage thieves?  What good is a 'verified' profile if AirBNB won't cooperate in locating the person when they steal?  What are your experiences? 

My assistant is pissed and is refusing to help me if I can't help him.  The profile 'Doris' is our only lead. 

3 Replies 3
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

From practical point of view, @Madeleine52: a host must take their guest ID if they want to have a proof of their stay/existance/whatever in the case they would have to seek legal solutions. Airbnb will be far from willing to help in such cases - from reading and responding in this forum. It's also not a place to share or rent expensive properties - ToS were created for sharing economy, not to accommodate serious businesses.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Madeleine52, sorry you have been victimized by this bad person!

Whenever someone books our listing, I at the very least copy what little information AirBnB provides about the guest. (Their full name and phone number). (Once the stay is over, you lose access to the phone number). If any other information is discovered later, I also write it down.

This should at least help with finding them later.

You mentioned that 'Doris' texted you; do you still have the text? Would that at least provide her phone number?

I know you are upset at AirBnB for not being more cooperative, but mainly you want to find 'Doris', who is the actual source of your pain.

(Side question: I don't understand how you feel AirBnB is encouraging thieves.)

I hope you find this bad person, and I hope your assistant does not lose their stuff any more!

Yegor1
Level 1
SF, CA

Any updates here? I have almost as bad situation with my car and it is all can be proven by video..