Guest who is cancelling but hasn't actually cancelled on Airbnb

Debs5
Level 2
Bakewell, United Kingdom

Guest who is cancelling but hasn't actually cancelled on Airbnb

Hi Everyone

Firstly, my thanks to any and all who can help me! 

I have a guest who has made a booking, then asked if we can put the twin beds together (physically impossible due to other furniture and an odd shaped room!). When she was advised that it isn't physcially possible and the reaons why not, she then came back and said she was cancelling, as they need 2 double beds. 

My understanding is that the booking needs to be manually cancelled at her end on Airbnb - which it hasn't - I am assuming if I cancel then that affects my Host statistics - currently no cancellations.

I've asked her to manually make the cancellation via Airbnb to no avail. Realistically, she can leave the booking for another two weeks (blocking the dates for other potential Guests) before doing this without incurring any penalties, as the booking dates are for a month ahead?

Any suggestions/advice would be very much appreciated!

Best wishes

Debs

3 Replies 3
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Most Guest and many Hosts seem unfamiliar with how the system works so I say in this sort of case that to maximise their refund they need to cancel asap. Usually that does it.

David
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Debs5  If she wants to cancel for free she needs to cancel within 48 hours of the booking. After that 48 hours she loses 50% with your strict policy. Inform her of that and she should cancel ASAP. If it's been longer than 48 hours since she made the reservation, she loses 50% already and if she delays until 7 days before she loses it all. I'm not sure you actually understand the strict policy it's not 14 days before check in they pay 50%, the 48 hour grace period does not apply if the reservation is 14 days or less away. Also decline any message you may get about a cancellation from the guest this is really important. 

DO NOT CANCEL a reservation, DO NOT ACCEPT any message about cancelling, changing or refunding DECLINE it a loophole that comes back to bite you and gives guests back their service fees and/or voids your cancellation policy and the cancellation is now on you, not the guests. DO NOT REFUND anything until actual cash has been given to you by AirBNB. If you refund they will take the money from you and a lot of times they get refunded from both AirBnB and you if you do this, then you have a fight to get your money back. Tell the guest you do not deal with the booking funds that is all on AirBnB's end. 

Everything @Letti0 said, plus you could tell her that if you are able to rebook you will refund up to what you can recoup, but the longer she delays the less likely that is.