Guest with bad review somehow auto booked

Answered!
Cynthia81
Level 2
Columbus, OH

Guest with bad review somehow auto booked

Hello Everyone, 

I have my first guest request that scheduled through instant book. Somehow the first person to come through as auto accept has a very recent bad review. The review said she has never had her house end up so dirty and that the person didnt respect the check in time at all. Is there anything I can do to cancel?

Is it right for me to cancel?

Thank you, 

Cynthia 

1 Best Answer
Sabine42
Level 10
Tucson, AZ

Cynthia,

to avoid this you have to adjust your booking requirements. go to your manage listings page, under 'booking' change 'who can book instantly' to 'guest who meet your requirements' and under 'guest requirments', check 'recommendations from other guests'. if you want to avoid the cancellation penalty you might want to host this time, especially if it's short term, for a longer stay maybe not. i think it's definitely your right to cancel if you feel uncomfortable with this guest. good luck!

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

@Cynthia81 the title of your post said "guest with bad review somehow auto booked". You need to be aware that a bad review doesn't prevent someone booking. As this was an instant book and you presumably feel uncomfortable with this guest I suggest you contact Airbnb, explain this to them and they will hopefully agree and find new accommodation for the guest at no penalty to you. Contact info for Airbnb is at Contact Airbnb

Sorry but you need to learn how AirBNB works before you start to host.  Instant book means you have to take all who come to you, no vetting.  If you aren't happy with that, turn it off.  And spend that time learning how AirBNB works.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Contact AirBNB
Sabine42
Level 10
Tucson, AZ

Cynthia,

to avoid this you have to adjust your booking requirements. go to your manage listings page, under 'booking' change 'who can book instantly' to 'guest who meet your requirements' and under 'guest requirments', check 'recommendations from other guests'. if you want to avoid the cancellation penalty you might want to host this time, especially if it's short term, for a longer stay maybe not. i think it's definitely your right to cancel if you feel uncomfortable with this guest. good luck!

Not sure if anybody has worked out what a recommendation from other hosts means. I assume but may be wrong that it refers to thumbs down. Certainly not related to the text.

David
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

I dont think her bad review necessarily means you should cancel her reservation.  I would speak with the guest and make sure your house rules and preferences for cleaning up and check in are known up front.  Reiterate the importance of her adhering to these rules.  Hopefully (maybe?) this guest learned their lesson the first time and won't want another bad review on their record.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Cynthia81

And to all other comments and suggestions I'd like to add that if you still consider going through with Instant booking of your listing, then know that everybody who books must accept your house rules. That is the only leverage you have, so imagine all kinds of trouble and use them as protective terms and conditions of your 'business' to fall back on when undesirable guests instant book. One of the reasons to easily be able to have a booking annulled is if guest breaks the rules. 

Thank you everyone! I have made some changes and updated my settings as sugessted to try and protect my home. I'm going to go through with the booking and see what happens. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am sorry but advice from some of the hosts above is not correct

When you turn it on you can use the setting that only guests with positive reviews can book https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/484/how-do-i-turn-instant-book-on-or-off

Helen, 

Thank you! I knew I saw a box that says only positive reviews can instantly book and any negative reviews must request to book. The very next person that is staying with me had a negative review and it didn't allow him to instantly book. That's why I didn't understand why it let the other person