Guest with loud "intimate" noises...

Guest with loud "intimate" noises...

Hello, I’m very new to hosting. I’m currently on my second booking and am unsure how to review them. The guy was an instant book and his message stated he was coming for a night away from the city and to see live music at a winery ...and pie. I was thinking he was talking about a popular pie destination but now I think he was being sarcastic...and gross. The walls are thin in the building and I’ve made it clear on the app and my home manual to be mindful of noise. However an hour after check in I heard them going at it loudly in the shower. And then again in the evening and this morning. I feel violated. I expect my guests to live their lives but I assumed they’d do it respectfully. On top of that he hasn’t messaged back to me once. Do I rate him poorly on communication and noise? How should I word a public review? I’m really not happy. And I have yet to go in and see what the place looks like.

Thanks for the advice. 

1 Reply 1
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Hi @Sarah3679 Yes, I personally would give him low marks on communication and noise.

If someone is sarcastic & disrespectful in answering your questions re purpose of visit, I'd mark them down; 1* if they gave you NO useful information, & 3* if they told you check in time & what you needed to know but in a disrespectful manner.

I WOULD mark them down on house rules for the noise. Your house rules ask to be respectful of neighbors, & to observe quiet hours. If this was a shared home, I'd give them 1*. But yours is an 'entire place' , so in their defence they may have thought they can treat it more as their own?  You DO say it is below an occupied apartment, so they SHOULD know noise can travel. I'd give 2* or 3* for house rules, depending on the extent of the noise, & whether after 10pm quiet hours... Tho' even before 10pm, it's not a noise respectful people should be inflicting on others i.m.o.!

Re the written review, some hosts believe the guests could get the review removed, if they ask,  if you name loud sex as an issue. - Too much information! Violation of privacy. - SO You could just write "Guests were unacceptably noisy, causing embarrassment to neighbors." "Pre-trip communication was a little disrespectful" (if true.) "They * left the flat clean & tidy/ did not leave the flat clean & tidy*" - as appropriate.

There are MANY other threads on this subject - a subject on which opinion is divided! - Type the relevant words into the search feature up top^!