Guests Adopting Babies

Polly123
Level 2
Rogers, AR

Guests Adopting Babies

So I just had a second request in three weeks of different guests wanting me to hold dates because their family will be in town to hopefully adopt a baby.  Both requests used almost the exact same wording. I declined this second one (first one I was happy for them, held the dates then was told the baby mama went into labor early and it was in the hospital)...I got no reply after I respectfully declined saying I had family coming and I forgot to block those days. I think it's a scam. Is it a bad gut feeling? 

6 Replies 6
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Sure sounds weird to me, although I can't figure out what the scam might be. But a host's intuition generally proves to be correct. @Polly123

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Oh, if they are asking you to hold dates, then I'll bet they are just wanting to scout around for other listings and have you and probably other hosts on "hold", while they decide which place they want. And they're trying to pull your heart strings re the adoption, which is just a made-up thing. Jerks.

@Polly123

Now that makes sense. I had just dropped the prices off the dates they asked for to try to fill the dates. The fact that separate people used the same wording trying to tug at my heartstrings in a few weeks just seemed a little off. I'm just passing it along in case others have had the same experience. I did find one in the community where the same type of story was used. I hope this isn't common. 

Oh, there's all kinds of scam inquiries hosts get, but I hadn't heard of the adoption one yet. Or maybe Rogers, Arizona is some big adoption hub and you just weren't aware of it, haha.

There's one where they tell you they have a proposal- their company will pay for their accommodation, but they have a relative they can stay with, so what they'll do is book your place, but not stay. Then you'll split the payment. Those scammers usually spell out their Whatsapp number, saying to call them so you can discuss the details. 

What actually happens if any hosts fall for this is that they do book it, the host sends them half the booking $ back, then Airbnb tells you the payment method failed. It's a stolen credit card scam.

Some hosts have reported getting 20 of these in one day

Another is that the enquirer tells you they really want to book your place, but they saw the listing duplicated somewhere at a cheaper price. They add a link to the supposed other listing, but if you click on it, it's phishing- they can access all your account info, payout info, etc.  

@Polly123

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

Regardless of reason given, scam or no scam, 'holding dates' should be a hard no, without exception. If a guest wants dates held, they can go ahead and BOOK those dates. Voila, held! 

@Polly123 

Thank you, great advice!!!