Guests arriving hours late

Answered!
Helen0
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

Guests arriving hours late

I've been hosting for four years and having dealt with a fair few guest idiosyncracies, I thought I'd got to grips with how to set reasonable and respectful expectations and boundaries, but it seems there is always something new to deal with! I don't know why this is starting to happen now when it hasn't been such a problem before, but in recent months I have had several groups of guests turn up hours later than the check-in time we've agreed and it's becoming a real annoyance! What can I do about it?

It's bad enough when the guest is staying at my own home. At least I can get on with my life while I wait for them, although it is often hugely inconvenient that I can't leave the house for hours, and I've often had to cancel social engagements or make apologies for my own late arrival because I've had to wait for guests. It's much worse when I am waiting for them at one of my three other listings which are not my own home. I have a busy life and I always have a whole load of other things to do in a day, I simply don't have whole free afternoons or evenings to just wait in an empty property for people to arrive. I try to pin people down to a check-in time when they book. I give preferred check-in 'windows' on my listings and include copious advice about exactly how long it takes to drive here. If they haven't confirmed a definite time by a couple of days before their arrival, I chase them until they do. I am crystal clear with them about when I need to be somewhere else and can't just drop everything to check them in if they turn up at a different time. I offer pick-ups from the airport to make arrival smoother. I say no to early check-ins and late check-outs that would cause problems. I ask people to confirm when they are nearly at the property, I send them messages when they don't arrive by the time we've agreed, I even send them updates if I hear that there are traffic congestion problems or delays at the airport. And yet. More and more often guests are simply treating me as if I have nothing better to do than sit around all day waiting for them without even the courtesy of a message.

As I type this in gritted-teeth frustration, I rushed home from work today because today's guests wanted to check-in an hour earlier than my usual time. I raced to get the room ready for them as the previous guest only checked-out after I had already left this morning so I had to do a super-quick turnaround. As agreed, I sent them a message to confirm that I was now home and that they could check-in. The appointed hour came and went. Ninety minutes after the agreed arrival time, I finally got a response to my message - their SatNav says they are still two hours away! No apology, either for the lateness or the lack of updates. And on top of having my afternoon stolen from me because I couldn't just relax at home or leave the house, since I was expecting them at any moment, I now have to sit tight for another couple of hours and welcome them with a smile whenever they feel like showing up!

This is happening with nearly 50% of guests recently. The record was a guest who arrived five hours after she said she would, but only got in contact after I had waited, across town, for over two hours. Again, I got no apology - just a weak explanation that the journey had taken them longer than they'd expected - on a Friday afternoon before a bank holiday weekend, on the M6, well how unexpected!

I could do with some advice from experienced hosts. There is no amount of tinkering with the listing or the house rules that's going to solve this, I've already done all that many times. And since it's now becoming a pattern, I can't put it down to the personality of any particular guest. What I would appreciate are some tips or tricks that have worked for other people to somehow get across to self-involved inconsiderate people that they need to show me some better manners! Any thoughts?

Many thanks to anyone who's read through my ranting! 

1 Best Answer

You are jumping through hoops.  If it is inconvenient just set a window and go about your business.  Let them know if they miss the check-in window, they can stop for dinner until you are home.  Then ask them to text you when they arrive so they'll be waiting for you.  I also start checking on a guests eta the day before arrival and sometimes advise of traffic problems so they'll leave home earlier to arrive earlier.

View Best Answer in original post

61 Replies 61

You are jumping through hoops.  If it is inconvenient just set a window and go about your business.  Let them know if they miss the check-in window, they can stop for dinner until you are home.  Then ask them to text you when they arrive so they'll be waiting for you.  I also start checking on a guests eta the day before arrival and sometimes advise of traffic problems so they'll leave home earlier to arrive earlier.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You are doing all the right things and I can only suggest that you need to carry through now with what you say in your intial and final email, along the lines of:

Check in time is between hours of xx and xx: if later than that, an excess charge of xx will be applied as I will have to pay someone to return to the property to let you in. Please confirm that you are ok with this.

How do you apply a fee to any late guests?

Gary11
Level 2
Ashland, MO

on your three other listing put a combination lock on all doors and change the combination to something like the last 4 digits of telephone number.  It hs worked, no rushing to get to your place by a certain time, you are just making it stress full for both parties.  If a guess wants to come early and checks with me and I give the ok, he has the combination amd members of a group can get there ahead of the one making the reservation. The non wifi locks about $80-110 from 2 to 10 combinations

I also have a code box --- stress free and easy! Highly recommend. Well worth the investment. I have been a guest and especially internationally, underestimate how long it will take to get there or miss a train, get lost, etc.

Helen0
Level 10

Thanks, I wish I could do that, but I don't own any of the other properties; I manage the Airbnb lettings for the owners so I can't buy or instal anything without their permission. I am letting two of the listings go this year: one because my friend is coming back from a year's travelling and will move back into his house, the other because it is always so difficult getting any response from the property owner and she resists any suggestion from me that involves spending any money. She already thinks my 15% is far too much and that even with constant bookings, I don't make her enough money. The house is a street terrace with nowhere to put a lock box, and I don't think my friend would want one on his house anyway, and the apartment has a communal entrance which the management company would not allow a lock box on, even if I could persuade the owner to pay for one. I will miss the income from these properties, but I won't miss spending hours sitting in them waiting for guests to arrive 😞

Kylie20
Level 2
Potts Point, Australia

Hi, I also provide a combination lock box for my guests. This was especially after a couple of times waiting for guests at 2am who didn't arrive at all as they for the date wrong travelling over the international date line. 

My property is in an apartment block. You don't really need anyone' permission to do it. I just attach it to the outside if the building. I send all my guests the code when they book regardless of when they might be arriving. Even if guests are due to turn up when I expect I'll be there cleaning they still get the code so I can leave as soon as I'm done and don't have to wait for them. 

I understand that the cost and being reimbursed might be an issue. One thing I have have done in the past is left the keys with a trusted local business. So I've sent guests to collect the keys from the laundromat, for instance.

Finally a friend tells her guests to text her when they are 15 mins away  and she then just waits at her place or somewhere local until she gets the text. This is probably only convenient if you live close enough. Even half an hour away would be OK. 

I hope these ideas help. I also agree with just leaving if they don'

turn up.

Kylie

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I used to rush back for check ins, then realised most do not turn up or intent turning up that early so I changed my check in times.

Now I have the advantage of being on premises, when looking after another property I can only suggest agreeing a time or setting a time window and if they no show leaving them to it. No doubt they will contact you as and when they turn up.

David
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

All good advice so far. My own experience is that 90% of my guests arrive within 10 minutes of the agreed time. The rest may be very late, but at least they tell me. Rare? Maybe. Here is what I say in my check in message: You can check in any time after 2pm, just let me know when to expect you and I will meet you at the house. I will make sure the fire is going nicely! If you have a change in time, let me know as I will not be there otherwise.

Helen0
Level 10

I think I will be more specific with them that as I have to make a journey across town to meet them, that if they are going to be late they will need to call me in advance as I won't be able to stay there waiting. Thanks!

Ivary0
Level 4
Republic of Indonesia

Hello, I've been hosting for years and most guests arrive on time but what to do in the following situation?

Few days ago my guest said they would arrive between 4-7PM so I planeed my day accordingly. I planned to leave the town no later than 8PM just after checking in the guests and I already booked the last ferry. But on the arrival day at 3PM the guest said they would arrive 7-8PM so I was already getting worried if I could still catch my ferry. So I called my guest and learned that they would arrive at 9:20PM which is already too late for me. I kindly explained that I already made plans to be on my way at 8PM and asked if they would agree to pay my brother a small fee 25EUR to come to the city and check them in but they immediately refused and said there is no such rule and they had a long drive and I'm responsible for check in in arrangements. I asked what about our agreement on arriving between 4-7PM and my guest told me it was just an estimate.

I understand delays can be unexpected and try to be reasonable. I also do late night check ins if we have agreed on the time of arrival. I'm very busy and cannot wait several hours for the guest to arrive so I had to pay somebody to let them in. If I had known earlier that they would be arriving this late, I would've planed my day differently so I wouldn't have to pay somebody.

Thanks!

@Ivary0

Check In: Anytime after 2PM

According to your listing.

David
Ivary0
Level 4
Republic of Indonesia

@David126

My problem is not with arriving at late hours, but arriving much later than agreed. In fact, I gladly often do check ins at 1AM without problems as long as the guest has told me several days before.

I do let guests check in any time after 2:00PM, but I always make an agreement about arrival time at least 1 day before. If the guest tells me 5PM, then I'm not expecting them at 9PM.

I rather assumed that was the case, but that is not what your listing says.

David