Guests becoming super entitled?

Answered!
Benedicte59
Level 1
Costa Mesa, CA

Guests becoming super entitled?

I am in Southern California, have been hosting for close to two years (Super Host status) with roughly 225 pretty darn positive reviews.

Obviously, all Airbnb‘s are different. We are just 2 miles to the beautiful beaches of Southern California, with an outdoor deck, barbecue and fireplace.

We ask that guests clean up after themselves, and charge only $20 for cleaning fees. In return, guests are supposed to do their own dishes, pick-up after themselves, clean-up spills, that sort of thing. I’ve never had an issue until the past few weeks. So many of my guests recently have been rude, ignoring the guidelines posted. I can’t think of another word besides “entitled.”

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? It’s just been so many, it’s hard to ignore. I know this can’t be the case, but it almost feels as if Airbnb has started advertising differently.

I don’t know what is causing this major devolving of guests, but it is frustrating.

1 Best Answer
Emma2401
Level 2
Loughor, United Kingdom

@Benedicte59 We've found the same thing this year.  We've been hosting AirBnb for three years and this year has seen an  influx of entitled enquiries and guests.  Fortunately, because we don't have instant book switched on we have managed to avoid some of them. 

The people who tell you that they are bringing their small children and will be arriving at 10am when we don't take children and check in is 3pm.  The ones who, after you've checked they understand the house rules before accepting the booking, then start trying to dictate how many additional guests or dogs they want to bring. 

We are seeing a lot of 'I can have or do what ever I like because I'm paying.'  I had one this evening - unless I gave him what he wanted, he would book elsewhere.  Needless to say, he's now someone else's problem.  

I suspect that as a result of the pandemic, more people are staying in country and using AirBnb for the first time - the entitled guests we've avoided have all registered with AirBnb this year. 

I suspect it is also a function of AirBnb advertising more.  The original ethos of sharing your house, of hosting guests, is being lost as more and more businesses use AirBnb as a platform. 

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Benedicte59 I can't say I am afraid as we don't have guests here in the UK anymore.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Benedicte59  I'd guess that not all of these guests were essential workers, but people who chose to travel despite the stay at home warnings, thus, they are inclined to be rule breakers.  Overall, I noticed that the quality of guests declined pretty substantially last year/

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Benedicte59 

Why not substantially increase the cleaning fee, then if you are satisfied with the returned condition of the apartment, use the resolution centre to reward good guests without referring to this in your house rules.

Use the system to be in control of a ( to some degree)  deposit, and get ahead of your guests.

Yvonne41
Level 10
Kirkland, WA

I feel like lately we have had an influx of guests who think we are their butlers. They literally can't be thankful when we have prepared amazing birthday cakes, much less be bothered to wipe the red sauce off of the white shag rug. Also, this last 9 months I  have seen more people than ever feeling entitled to sneak pets in where they are clearly not allowed.

I hope it's pandemic entitlement disorder and goes away with herd immunity.

@Yvonne41  😀

Emma2401
Level 2
Loughor, United Kingdom

@Benedicte59 We've found the same thing this year.  We've been hosting AirBnb for three years and this year has seen an  influx of entitled enquiries and guests.  Fortunately, because we don't have instant book switched on we have managed to avoid some of them. 

The people who tell you that they are bringing their small children and will be arriving at 10am when we don't take children and check in is 3pm.  The ones who, after you've checked they understand the house rules before accepting the booking, then start trying to dictate how many additional guests or dogs they want to bring. 

We are seeing a lot of 'I can have or do what ever I like because I'm paying.'  I had one this evening - unless I gave him what he wanted, he would book elsewhere.  Needless to say, he's now someone else's problem.  

I suspect that as a result of the pandemic, more people are staying in country and using AirBnb for the first time - the entitled guests we've avoided have all registered with AirBnb this year. 

I suspect it is also a function of AirBnb advertising more.  The original ethos of sharing your house, of hosting guests, is being lost as more and more businesses use AirBnb as a platform.