Guests can now smoke in any host's home with no consequence

Kurt-And-Sheila0
Level 2
Woodstock, GA

Guests can now smoke in any host's home with no consequence

Airbnb says smoking in a home does not cause damage.  Not covered by host guarantee and can't be reimbursed with the "security deposit" they don't collect.

Can I collect my own deposit?  What is the work around?

Guests can basically do anything in the home as long as no physical evidence is left behind.

3 Replies 3
Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Kurt-And-Sheila0  2nd hand smoke can have severe detrimental effects to any person with a respiratory condition . I think that is pretty damaging .

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Kurt-And-Sheila0 @Inna22 has a post up right now about how to possibly succeed at collecting a smoking cleanup penalty and @robin4 frequently mentions a smoke smell detector that he recommends.

The short answer is that you need to control your space and then you need to prove you had expenses. No, you can't just say the place smells and get abb to hand over money.

@Kurt-And-Sheila0 

"Can I charge a security deposit? 

As you're multi-listing Pro hosts, and presumably API-connected, you are permitted to charge a security deposit in person, but you must be sure to make it clear in your listing description. (Small hosts are typically not permitted to do so)

Airbnb Offline Fee Policy 

Generally, hosts may not collect any additional fees or charges outside the Airbnb platform unless expressly authorized by Airbnb. This policy for collecting fees in person describes what types of fees eligible hosts may collect outside of the Airbnb platform

Hotels and software-connected hosts can charge guests additional fees that aren’t collected by Airbnb or used to calculate Airbnb service fees and taxes. These fees are collected directly from guests, either at check-in or within 48 hours of checkout.

Fees that can be collected in person - 

• Resort fee: This covers the cost of a property’s amenities, like pool linens or wifi
  • Security deposit: A refundable deposit that can be used to cover any damage that occurs during the stay
  • Cleaning fee: A one-time fee used to cover the cost of cleaning
  • Utility fee: These are charges for the use of utilities like water or electricity during a stay

Airbnb only authorizes these fees to be collected if they’re detailed in the listing description and included in the price breakdown before guests book.

Penelope