Guests changing their dates

Guests changing their dates

Our guests were supposed to be booked for a month. And now they are requesting to change their stay to only 5 days. Because they aren't cancelling, the cancelation policy doesn't come into play. They are just requesting different dates and we will loose out on the money from the rest of the month that's been reserved with them. I'm wondering, would you decline their request for different dates? 

I don't want to be rude but this could cost us money. 

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Alissa95 

The "long term stay" policy does not refund 30 nights.

Are you sure the change is not refunding any money to the guests, but only changes dates ?

You can make the change yourself and after setting the new dates, amend the price in the change form to what you consider a reasonable price. This can be 30 nights (according policy) or less.

Sorry I didn't specify. They are already currently staying here. So they started their stay and now want to change from 29days that were booked to only 5days. 

@Alissa95 be very careful with this as you may refund more than you expected to do . You can adjust the length of the booking and open your dates again but since you will then have another cleaning fee, then request this amount also be paid .H.I am not sure that this is not a cancellation as such H

Mika8
Level 10
Zürich, Switzerland

When I have such a request I amend the dates in the form but let the price to the usual price for the whole (previous booked) time .. and if I get an other booking for some of the dates I refund the guest (according to the effort I had with these guest .. means sometimes I charge some fees for my troubles).

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Alissa95 

It just sounds to me that these guests are trying to bypass the cancellation policy. For long term, if they are already checked in, the 30 nights from the cancellation date are non-refundable, not the 30 nights from the check in. So, in theory, they are supposed to pay for the nights they stayed PLUS the following 30 nights. 

What is their reason for cutting the stay by so much? Did they complain about anything? Did something happen which is out of their control, e.g. an extenuating circumstances, or did they just have a change of plans?

I would factor my decision based on the circumstances, but no, you should not agree to the date change as you'll be completely out of pocket unless you get the dates rebooked and there's no guarantee with a last minute cancellation. I would tell them they need to cancel the stay and then you can offer to refund them extra ONLY if dates get rebooked.

If you do decide to allow the date change and have a long term discount, make sure you factor that into any refund you give, i.e. do not over refund the guests. If they only pay for a few nights, they do not get the monthly discount anymore and need to pay full prices for those nights. Deduct the difference from the refund by adjusting the price in the alteration request.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Alissa95 what cancellation policy do you have on your listing? As we are talking a 29 day stay this is the starting point for any negotiation.

@Mike-And-Jane0 

The long term cancellation policy will automatically apply to a 29 day stay regardless of the cancellation policy @Alissa95 has chosen for shorter stays. Even if she chose a 'flexible' policy for long term stays, the first 30 days are non refundable at this point. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Huma0 yes sorry I was getting confused with UK tax rules!