Guests confirmed they were non-smokers, lied, smoked, AirBnB CS no help-no fine

Shawn19
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Guests confirmed they were non-smokers, lied, smoked, AirBnB CS no help-no fine

I love to provide clean, affordable places for people to come see the wonderful city of Seattle.  And I have two firm boundaries about who can stay in my homes: all guests must be non-smokers and no pets.  The rules are clear.  I confirm these are followed before guests book and all goes well.

Facts: House Rules stated “No smokers (to be clear: this is not just a "no smoking in the house", this means smokers cannot stay here).”

June 8th-my question prior to booking the home: “Can you please confirm that all guests are non-smokers?

June 8th-response: “I confirm that they are all non-smokers

June 9th-Guests arrived.

June 12th-Condominium association contacted me about the smokers: Multiple neighbors complained about multiple smokers smoking multiple times right outside their windows, apparently violating the city's no smoking ordinances.

I don’t appreciate untrue confirmations, policy violations, causing conflict with neighbors, littering and irate, blame-the-victim attitudes.  Just because I open my house, I don't beleive guest should be able to do whatever they want without concsequences.

AirBnB Customer Support refused to enforce any fine, so there are no consequences for their actions...I just get a bad review.
It seems like a bad situation for me and AirBnB didn't have my back.
This doesn't seem right.

12 Replies 12
Mike77
Level 10
Bend, OR

Make the whole situation public on twitter!  If you don't have a twitter account, make one and then make your lack of support from AirBnB public on the AirBnB twitter account.

See if making it public will get AirBnB to take action.

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Paul4
Level 10
Kiawah Island, SC

OK, I will take a try at this. Basically, it is difficult for hosts to 'fine' somebody, especially on listing sites like Airbnb.  Hosts can try to 'charge' for expenses incurred because of inappropriate actions taken by their guests.  So, if a guest violates the rules and causes you to have to pay expenses to mitigate the violation, and you can document the violation and the expense, you should be able to recover the expense. I don't think you can expect to just 'fine' someone for violating your rules. It has to cause you an expense that you can document, ie; you have to supply proof of damage and receipts or estimates.

Paula103
Level 2
Georgia, United States

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

In most Countries fines are the reserved for the Judiciary.

David
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You can't 'fine' someone for smoking - the city can if it wishes. However you can charge them for additional cleaning for example if that is clear in your description that you do so, and you get estimates, and you make a claim within 48 hours.

Sheri7
Level 2
Ventura, CA

These guests have you a bad review? After you asked them to comply with your house rules? Did they book thru instant book?
I recently had guests violate my house rules and Airbnb swiftly found them other accommodations. They were removed from my property in less than 10 minutes..
When you are having any problems with a guest that violate your house rules, call Airbnb right away. They are a great help.
Mark190
Level 3
Exeter, United Kingdom

I do have to ask,how many homes do you own,and how many homes do you use as a business with airbnb?

No problems with smokers in my home as I do live there.(smoking outside)

If these are going to be continued issues for you,then you need to be in the "home" when your guests are staying and your issued are sorted.

Do you have photos of dropped ciggies about the property and any written confirmation by neighbors that they saw your guests smoking?Forward that to airbnb, demand that they take it into consideration and act accordingly to protect you and all other hosts from abusive tenants.

@cyprus

That is correct. It's all about proof.

There was video of them smoking, pictures of the cigarette butts and if CS would have asked for the notes from the neighbors or been willing to speak with me, I would have provided that too.  There was overwhelming proof.

There was video of them smoking, pictures of the cigarette butts and if CS would have asked for the notes from the neighbors or been willing to speak with me, I would have provided that too.  There was overwhelming proof.

My guest from tunesia smoke although he perfectly saw the non smoking sign. He did ravage the sofa (with ashes?). 
i claimed 40 euro for curtain and sofa cleaning. But Airbnb did not help me. The guest get free out of it. Paid nothing. Extra work was on me. Airbnb is on the side of guests who violates houser rules. Once, a team of guest of north Africa smoke even after we told them 4 times to stop, and burned the bin. Close to put my house in fire.