Guests force Price Wars

Answered!
Linda1161
Level 3
Toronto, Canada

Guests force Price Wars

This recommendation and request for Airbnb to review this constant problem Hosts are experiencing from Guests. 

I lay awake tonight and want to provide a Host point of view to Airbnb because it is a true shame that Host's do not receive fair treatment from Airbnb. We have continuous guidelines implemented by Airbnb, ie. respond within 24 hours, do this and don't do that etc. I fail to understand why in these difficult times GUESTS are not penalised for sending nonsense inquiries on our properties.

As a Host we are already struggling with loss of money finding it difficult to carry the expenses on our properties. I am referring to the latest inquiry I received from Pradesh Kumar for 2 Guests Jan 31 to May 1st booking. This man wastes my time and sends me a request to offer me $450.00 less of the total $1,950 per month for a 2 bedroom apartment in Mississauga blaming the Airbnb charges that he has to pay and expecting me to pay his fees stating that his budget is only $1,500.

Why is this Guest not penalised for doing this? Hosts should not be harassed by  Guests who do this, its not only insulting it is highway robbery.  Airbnb knows full well that Guests have to book a property for their stay, it is not a case of losing a Guests.  It is more about  Airbnb allowing Guests the ability to price war Hosts and putting the heat making Hosts combat each other.  I have not received an inquiry on my listing for over 2 months and now I am 2 weeks away from his requested booking period.  It makes me as a Host vulnerable to this abuse because it is allowed and Airbnb has not implemented guidelines to stop it. 

The only way to prevent this is for Airbnb to penalize Guest who do this! Stop the price wars and protect your HOSTS! Airbnb will still get the bookings, Guests need to find accommodations, they can afford it, they just don't want to pay and if Airbnb implements strategies to stop this Airbnb will make more fees on these bookings, increasing revenue therefore increasing Stock price.   Airbnb will earn more money not lose money and it allows Airbnb to be fair with their Hosts finally because so far throughout Covid Airbnb has not been fair to Hosts.   

We do not have the bookings to keep our Super Host Status, I lost mine.  We get hit by unfair manipulating Guests who manouever the system for free accommodations who then lie through their teeth to get a discount or free nights stays.  Then they have the ability to provide a damaging false review in turn hurting honest sincere hardworking Hosts.  I know I had it done to me in this very same apartment. I had Guests from Hell and still to this day have hurt me with their dishonest review.      

Taking away all of our money on 100% guarantee refunds to Guests was brutally unfair and dictated complete ignorance to a Hosts position. It would have been decent to split the costs 50%/50% not force Hosts to take the full burden. Hosts did not create this pandemic and we are all suffering through it. My bookings are down and requests for bookings are few and far between no matter how low I go on price. I don't even cover my expenses and there is no end in sight here in Ontario.

Again vaccines are delayed. I would like to think that Airbnb Quality Control takes time to read these messages, do you?? Or is this fallen on deaf ears. It is a simple report button Airbnb can put on their system so Hosts can trigger a comment to the Guest advising them they are unreasonable with their request and a note will now go onto their profile. If that Guest does it continually why does Airbnb Allow that Guest to abuse the goodwill of a Host. I am confident they will stop this nonsense of trying to swindle Host after Hosts with request for outrageous discounts.

If this is not the place to submit this recommendation please advise where I can send this. I have copied it.

"3:50 PM

Hi Linda,
Is this a basement apartment?
We are planning for a three months stay at your place.

Can you please give us a discount on the price? 1500 CAD a month would suit our budget.

I will have to pay Airbnb charges in addition to that.
Thanks."

Linda PInizzotto
1 Best Answer
Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Linda1161 Your premise is absolutely ridiculous. Whether you can sustain your STR at your current price in the current market has nothing to do with guests asking for discounts. Two different issues.  Just say no. 

View Best Answer in original post

36 Replies 36
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It's tough times for all @Linda1161 but not Airbnb's fault you have a guest asking for a discount.

I just tell guests to use the search function to find a property within their budget.

Airbnb fees are in line with other STR listing services.

if you aren't getting STR booking because of Covid.  perhaps look at a 6 month let through other platforms 

Hi @Helen3 in Bristol, United Kingdom I appreciate your prompt reply.  I was just about to head back to bed its 3:19 am here in Toronto.  I just feel it is important for Airbnb to implement strategies to stop Guests from doing this. We have professional Tenants here in Ontario and I consider these Guests - professional Guests who know the price war game.  It is a chain reaction, once one Host reduces the price below the medium then the medium will change so the heat is on for other Hosts.  Accountability is important, Hosts own the property they have more to lose if they can't pay their mortgages.  Guests will always come. 

Linda PInizzotto
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Linda1161 Thankfully we live in a free market economy. You have a free choice to accept a lower revenue or reject it. 

By the way, you didn't lose your super host status through lack of stays as this measure has been suspended.

With all due respect @Mike-And-Jane0   it is not about a free choice issue.  It is about Guests trying to work the system to reduce prices.   If a Host wishes to add discounts as  a free choice they would and it would show up on their listing.  These Guest simply prepare a request and copy and paste on the various listings until they get a desperate Host.  Here in Ontario, Airbnb does penalize you and yes you do lose Super Host Status.  I cant speak for what happens in United Kingdom. 

Linda PInizzotto

@Linda1161 with no respect whatsoever Airbnb DID NOT count number of stays towards the latest Superhost status. I suspect you fell below 4.8 but you will need to look in performance tab under super host to find out for sure.

"Here in Ontario, Airbnb does penalize you and yes you do lose Super Host Status". There are no special penalties reserved for Superhosts in Ontario, @Linda1161

Hi @Colleen253  Thank you so much for confirming.  It is frustrating times, I simply wanted to provide my expertise of the market place for Hosts and Airbnb to realize how allowing Guests free reign to copy and paste their requests for a  20% plus discounts hoping to snag a desperate Host is hurting the overall listed value of the properties.  We  need a simple button to notify Airbnb and they can do their due diligence and come up with a solution.

Have a great evening

Linda PInizzotto

@Linda1161 

Guests can ask for a discount all they want - hosts are not forced or pressured by Airbnb in any way to accept these types of requests. No one can stop people from making crazy absurd requests - it's up to you to decide how you want to handle it. 

That is where you are incorrect @Jessica-and-Henry0 Jessica-and-henry0 you need to look at the bigger picture. It is no different from someone selling their home and someone on the street needs to sell immediately so now the prices are now a lower average on the street.  Yes anyone can ask, but it is the manipulation of reducing market prices is the problem. 

Linda PInizzotto
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Linda1161 

Whenever a guest asks for a discount respond with a saved message (it takes 4 seconds):

"Dear guest, thank you for your interest in our condo. Discounts are already included in the price that you see on Airbnb. I wish you the best of luck in finding a place that better suits your budget. Take care!"

Send it, archive the message, and never think about it again. You will be surprised by how often guests will never even respond.

Yes @Emilia42 I am not debating on the length of time it takes to provide a response or how tactful a Host wishes to be in their response.  It is the problem of Guests working the system to force the reduction on price which is a domino effect for other Hosts.  I am trying to offer an important overview of the situation.  I am a Realtor for over 40 years and can tell you the  market is impacted by the prices so if these Guests continue to be able to force a Host-Host Price War on non-booked Airbnb listings.  Airbnb gets hurt on their fees and Hosts get hit on their nightly rates.  The Guest will need to book, it is unnecessary for Airbnb to allow this.  If  a Host wishes to reduce their property 25% and over they would do it in the first place and/or offer a discount.  These Guests copy and paste their request to several Hosts until they get a Hosts to cave and accept these terms.   Thats called manipulating the system and Hosts.  Please dig deep a consider these factual comments.  Hosts need to understand the chain reaction effect. 

Linda PInizzotto

@Linda1161 Now I understand. You are a Realtor and as such you want to restrict (illegally in the UK and probably elsewhere) the ability of the market to work so that prices are maintained at an unfairly high level for our guests.

Very classless @Mike-And-Jane0      Low blows are disgraceful, I could resort to that very easily but why bother.  The value of a furnished rental should be enough to support a Hosts mortgage payments and expenses and hopefully Hosts can earn a little bit of money for their time and trouble to operate.  Right now many are losing money and simply surviving or paying the deficit out of their own budgets while Guests are trying to reduce the fair nightly value in relation to the standard market prices.   You really should proof read your comments. 

Linda PInizzotto

@Linda1161 Every guest who has asked me for a discount has been turned down. I don't want those types of guests. They are welcome to try their luck with any other host. Within days I get a booking from a guest who accepts my price as-is no questions asked. Someone out there is always willing to pay.