Guests have taken over

Holly85
Level 2
North Port, FL

Guests have taken over

So my new guest and her husband checked in two days ago. Yesterday she had her implants taken out and now they are both sleeping in my living room. Using like a hospital room. I feel weird even walking through because he's adjusting her bandages and packing ice on her. They have taken over the house I'm confined to my bedroom. I feel bad because I know how she feels but they paid for a private room not an entire house. How can I gently let them know they are out of bounds?

14 Replies 14
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

How much longer are they staying?

David

Hi, they booked for 7 days and have 5 left. I considered letting it ride and changing my rule book to include something about no sleeping in shared space, but that doesn't ensure that people won't still do it, and I will eventually have to have a tough conversation no matter what. So I feel like I need to deal with it now.

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

Hi, @Holly85, maybe you could gently say:  "wouldn't you be more comfortable in your bedroom? I have some work to do out here, and I hate to disturb you." And then drag out the vacuum cleaner. I'm sorry for her pain, but they paid for a bedroom, and you have a right to the rest of your house.

Kate, I asked her this morning if she would move to the bedroom tonight and she said her dr. told her she needs to sit up.I said but I will probably want to hang out in the living room when I get home from work and she replied "oh your fine", like I was not bothering her at all!

Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

@Holly85

This is why I would NEVER use Instant Booking as a host, and why I always have communication with each guest prior to accepting a reservation. 

I want a sense of the person at the other end of the reservation, as well as their  reasons for coming to my area. If their profile lacks personal information I ask them to share a bit about themselves.  By the time my guests arrive I've already established a warm connection with them, and I have had nothing but delightful experiences.

Jude

@Holly85

It's your house!!! Why do you feel like you have to tiptoe around those guests?? 

Tell her firmly that guests need to sleep in the guest bed room - not the living room, although she's welcome to sit there during the day. And just act like YOU own the place. Don't be gentle, be polite but very firm that they are out of bounds. 

Thank you everyone who offered help I really appreciate it. As it turns out they both went to bed in their room the following night. She apologized and told me she was really out of it on the pain meds. I'm sure he was just trying to cope with the situation as best he could.  They are really great people and I have actually been very fortunate with all of my guests so far. I guess I just overreacted a bit thinking they would be in my living room for 7 days.

I'm so glad it worked out, @Holly85! I have used Instant booking for years, by the way, and have always had pretty good luck with it. I do get a sense of my guests from our communications beforehand, and I try to greet them personally when they arrive. However, stuff like this happens from time to time with all guests. I think you handled it really well, and I'm glad your guests turned out to be such nice people!

@Holly85 , no, you didn't overreact - don't second guess yourself! Their stay is almost over, and I think it's wise to just let it run out. But looking into the future, this encounter is an opportunity to figure out what you need to do to prevent any such thing from happening again.
Looking at your listing, I immediately I see that you practically promise the run of the house, no wonder they liked that for only $40 a night! New hosts such as yourself often try to be overaccommodating, letting the guests have access to everything, don't do that! It's the other way around: underpromise and overdeliver, that is what gets you appreciation and great reviews.
So , best is to change the description of your listing asap and clearly define the limits:
1.) Your listing is called "Holly's House": that already sets the tone for expectations. Perhaps call it "Peaceful room at Holly's House", or whatever....
2.) It is listed as one private room, yet in the description you say that guests are also welcome to the shared living space, the kitchen, to everything! That is where you are inviting guests to take over. Think it through carefully - and limit that! What a nightmare it would be if guest stay for a whole week, start cooking, etc.. Perhaps just offer the outside patio as the shared area. That patio is a a lovely area, also has a great picture, very inviting.   
3. Once you make those changes, also rearrange your pictures: show the house, then guest space, such as their bedroom and bath (maybe take a few better pictures, brighten up that space a bit), then the patio. I would drop the kitchen pictures all together (again, you're setting yourself up for wrong expectations), and at most one picture of the living room. If you get along with guests, you can always offer use of all these extra spaces when they are there - makes for a nice surprise and appreciation.
4. Good luck and happy hosting to you! PS: I lived many many years in Ocala, in the old part of town, on SE 7th street 🙂

@Annette33

thank you! Best advice yet. I just changed my title and deleted those pics. Actually, they have been cooking all week but it's not bothering me. They are respectful, bought their own food  and clean up (mostly) I guess you really never know though how a situation will play out when you invite complete strangers into your home. I know better now.

wow, @Holly85 , you acted fast! Great way of being pro-active and getting things done 🙂

Totally agree! I only show pics of what they actually rent! Which in my case is a bedroom. Every pic clear states ' your bedroom' or ' the shared guest bathroom'. Sofar that worked well, guests responded postive and we had no issues. We do have a small backyard - only accessible via the family kitchen or adjacent familybedroom..... so - you may have guessed it: we do not offer it to guests. And we do not show pics either :). I hope this helps!

@Carol194

Thank you, I realize now what I did wrong and I am definitely going to make changes. I already changed the listing and the rule book.

@Holly85

You will do really well at this Holly, and good on you for being open to suggestions and advice from fellow Hosts. That is the mark of a great Host, one who can learn from others and adapt lessons and experience to their own situation.

And visit the Community Forums occasionally - loads of good and useful tips and things to avoid - really helpful stuff.

Best Wishes.