Guests having visitors without host permission!

Marie1230
Level 2
Normal, IL

Guests having visitors without host permission!

I'm tired of them telling me 8 adults and I tell them in my rules no visitors without host approval and they still have visitors thinking they are renting my house.  They are renting their stay not my home to do whatever they like with.  I had over 24 different people come in my house.  

How do I charge them for the others?   Airbnb backed me up last time but I only asked for 1/2.  The booking guest argued for days over it.  What is fair to charge?  They continue to ignore the fact they can discuss with me and my listing states I have a ring camera.  I think it is so disrespectful.  How do I proceed and how do I discourage receptions in my home?  Help!!

5 Replies 5
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Marie1230 Which listing are you having the issue with? You don't seem to have one with an occupancy of 8. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Marie1230  Remove the wording ""without host approval" and change it to "No unregistered guests or visitors allowed on the property at any time. Failure to respect this may result in immediate eviction of not only the extra people, but the booked guests as well."

Some guests may still ask, in which case you can make a decision on a case by case basis once they are in residence and proven themselves to be respectful and trustworthy, so being allowed to have their sister over for lunch one day might be quite fine with you.

@Colleen253  I think she was just giving that as an example- guests booking her 10 guest max listing for 8. 

@Sarah977 @Marie1230 has one listing that basically invites groups, gatherings, and over occupancy (and has contradictions in the house rules) and one that does not. Before making comments, I just wanted to clarify if it was one or the other or both, or what.

@Colleen253  Ah. My bad. I didn't read through the listing info, just glanced at her guest counts.

@Marie1230  Do you not realize your listing wording in the 10 guest place is actively encouraging the situation you are complaining about?

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

I have ‘no visitors’ in my house rules.   I then get my booking guests to confirm they have read the house rules and that they are happy with  them.  

This my wording in the message I ask them to agree to.  

VERY IMPORTANT

Only registered guests included in the booking are permitted on or within the property - strictly no parties, unregistered guests, gatherings or events.

I had one couple last week withdraw their request to book - I knew they were looking to have lots of family over so it filtered that out before it became  a problem. 

I also let them know ‘I live just across the road’.