Guests hometown

Answered!
Bethany7
Level 2
Charlotte, NC

Guests hometown

I'm starting to believe the default city where a guest is from becomes Lindenwold NJ. After nearly 20 guests, just a few of them say a different city other than Lindenwold.

But the majority of new requests (almost always new airbnb users with no reviews) say they are from Lindenwold NJ. I find it hard to believe this many of my guests are from there, especially when the guest says they are from Houston and their Linkedin profile confirms this. Another request's profile said Lindenwold, yet he told me he was from Florida and was going to school in Alabama, and social media confirmed this.

Has any one else noticed a recurring city that airbnb says new users are from?
1 Best Answer
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for letting us know about the difficulties you have been experiencing with the location displayed for some of your guests. I reported this back to our Product Team and thanks to your feedback they have been able to investigate this further. I am pleased to say this has now been resolved.

Any further requests you receive from guests stating Kellyville or Lindenwold will actually be from there! 🙂

I am sure you will all be very pleased to hear this and please do continue to update me on how this is displaying for you. 

Thanks again,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

View Best Answer in original post

53 Replies 53
Jennifer178
Level 10
Philadelphia, PA

As someone who grew up about 20 minutes from Lindenwold, nobody wants to be from Lindenwold. Boring! If my profile said I was from there, I would change it quickly. My cousin lives there and he would agree with me.

Really, Airbnb help new guests out.

Lindenwold, New Jersey -

Birthplace of Brian Chesky's Mom, Diane.

Good detective work @Rachael26!  Now it makes sense. Wow, one day you will have to tell me how you sussed out the info.  I have never noticed that at all on any of my bookings.  

@Jennifer178

BTW I made that up (Chesky's Mom's birthplace being Lindenwold NJ). At the time I thought it was an inspired joke (but who knows it may even be true for some software developer.... why would anyone choose that otherwise?)

Anyway - the new kid in town comes from Kellyville, OK now apparently..........

But really, can't they come up with a default that is more amusing like "Intercourse PA" or "Bird-in-Hand PA" or even "Who'd A Thought It AL"

Tim128
Level 1
Vermont, United States

I had my first occurrence of this today.  The name of the party that instant booked was "Mom Example."  This can't be real.  Has anyone else seen that name?

I don't use instant book mostly for problems just like this. If I were you, I would cancel that reservation, tell the guest Wi-Fi, and report the profile to Airbnb 

Apologies, not Wi-Fi, why

@Patti0, I wouldn't suggest that the host cancel the reservation -- he'll get penalized for a year.  AirBnB can do it, if they will.  The poster should also have the setting on for IB that requires positive reviews, if they don't already.

It's my understanding that there is a cancel penalty free option with instant book.

Kelly-and-Steve0
Level 2
Fort Worth, TX

Same thing happened to us. Two guests with no previous history, both showed Lindenwold, NJ as their home. We wondered about this as well. 

I just had 2 inquires and both parties showed they were from Kellyville, OK. Neither are from there!  Should I report?  Is this a glitch in the system? 

James426
Level 1
San Juan Capistrano, CA

I'm new, this week, to hosting.  As of right now 5 of my booked guests are showing that they're from Kellyville, OK.  Seems very odd.  And according to Patti that is not the default city.  Hmmm.  I'm a bit concerned about this.

Hi james welcome to hosting.  That's a new one. If I were you, I would contact Support and ask them to investigate. Meanwhile you probably just want to cut to the chase and ask the guests where they are from. Hope you can do that without making Airbnb or yourself look foolish. It isn't fair, but I think that's what you're going to have to do for now. 

Patti

James,

Have any of these 5 bookings arrived as of this date?

Linda

My last 2 booking requests also listed Kellyville, Ok.  During e-mails, 1st is from LA, the other from Salt Lake City.  I'm thinking this must be an Airbnb glitch. 

Linda