Guests keep flushing things they shouldn't, ignoring signs

Lucy444
Level 1
Gwithian, United Kingdom

Guests keep flushing things they shouldn't, ignoring signs

I host many guests each week, up to four per night, but at the moment I am having to unblock my septic tank system once a week as people are flushing things that they shouldn't. I had a polite notice stating "Please flush only toilet paper down the loo" but this wasn't big enough as people kept flushing wet wipes, condoms, sanitary towels and even a bottle cap! I made a bigger, clearer notice saying again not to flush anything but toilet paper, and stating which items specifically should not be flushed (wet wipes, condoms, sanitary products and general waste) and explaining that it blocks the septic tank system- my notice should leave guests in no uncertain terms. There are two bins in the bathroom, one right next to the two signs, which state to please use the bins for everything else except toilet paper.

I laminated my A5 signs and stuck one behind the toilet and one in front, yet today the septic tank was blocked again- three wet wipes and a crisp packet!

I am in disbelief that people would flush all of these items in their own home, let alone mine, and my garden is beginning to constantly smell like sewage due to all the blockages (my poor dad is outside every weekend unblocking the tank).

What more can I do? I can't leave anything in their reviews as I don't know which guests are doing it, but it seems to be at least a few of them each week. Do I need to paint a notice across the entire bathroom wall?? Some advice would be much appreciated!

10 Replies 10
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Lucy444 

Maybe opt for some technical solution (it seems vulnerable draining system), as educating guest on this seems to fail ...

Added:

I remembered this one:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Toilet-Flush-Sign-What-do-you-have/m-p/604149?lightbox-m...

Best regards

Emiel

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lucy444  How frustrating and time consuming. And only a matter of time until those self-same guests who flush wet-wipes complain in reviews about the "sewage smell".

You ask if you have to paint it across the bathroom walls. Well, maybe. How about painting, in some bright red oil-base paint that won't wear off, on the underside of the toilet seat (which they'll be staring at when flushing)-

Sensitive Septic System!

No flushing of ANYTHING but toilet paper.

And you might have to add a small threat to the posted flushing instructions. "Guests who plug the septic system by flushing anything but toilet paper will necessarily be charged for plumbing repairs."

Heather106
Level 4
New Orleans, LA

I have dealt with almost the exact same thing! 

I renovated my 1870 Creole townhouse in New Orleans about 2 years ago. And while the plumbing in the house is new, the city sewer system is not. New Orleans locals know not to flush anything down the toilet except waste and toilet paper, because we know what nastiness can and will happen if we do. Tourists, however, do not think this applies to them. In the first 6 months of hosting my place I had to have a plumber out 4 times for things flushed down the toilet that weren’t supposed to. I tried a cute little sign across from the toilet- “Please don’t flush paper towels, feminine products, wipes, hopes & dreams down the toilet!”  I put a rule in my house rules, printed and posted the rules in various places. And it still kept happening. Until I changed the rule to this-

Do NOT flush anything other than waste and toilet paper down the toilet- no feminine products or baby/facial wipes. If a plumber has to be called during your stay or on the day of checkout and it is determined that a blockage occurred starting from the 2nd floor, you will be responsible for the repair costs. 

I have not had to call a plumber since! Not one problem!

You might want to create a similar rule, stating an additional charge of $100 (or something) for any septic issues that occur during a stay or 24 hours after check out. If you have multiple guests, you might not be able to pinpoint the exact culprit, but sometimes the threat of an additional charge may just be the right motivation for guests to follow the rules...

Heather106
Level 4
New Orleans, LA

I have had to deal with almost the same thing!

I renovated my 1870 Creole townhouse about two years ago. While the plumbing in the house is new, the city sewer system is not. Locals here in New Orleans know not to flush anything but waste and toilet paper because we know what nastiness can and will happen if you do. However, tourists seem to believe that this doesn't apply to them.

In the first 6 months of hosting, I had to call in a plumber 4 times (once on a national holiday on a Satuday!). At first I put up a cute little sign across from the toilet that said, "Please do not flush paper towels, feminine products, wipes, hopes & dreams down the toilet!" After the 2nd time it happened I added a house rule about toilet use, then I printed and posted the rules in various places. It kept happening until I changed the rule to this-

Do NOT flush anything other than waste and toilet paper down the toilet- no feminine products or baby/facial wipes. If a plumber has to be called during your stay or on the day of checkout and it is determined that a blockage occurred starting from the 2nd floor, you will be responsible for the repair costs.

Since then, no isssues! Not one!

You might want to create a similar rule stating that there is an additional $100 (or something) charge for any septic issues that occur during a stay or within 24 hours of check out. If you have multiple guests, you might not be able to pinpoint the exact culprit, but perhaps the threat of having to pay extra will be enough motivation for guests to finally start following the rules. 

Good luck!

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Heather106 

Especially bad dreams can block a toilet entirely !

Hopes are also problematic when flushed down the toilet lol

Pamela950
Level 1
Macomb, MI

I have it in my rules that they will pay for damages and service calls if found neglectful.

Same for my AC - people will open windows but blast the air 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Lucy444 

How's your Septic Tank system these days?
Any more issues?
Or have Guests now learnt to adhere to commonsense practices with Waste Water systems in your location?

You could always find some of the various Septic Tank and sanitary waste system designs over the years and print them out to educate your Guests which one you have and make it an added attraction to your Toilet area..it would be a conversation starter..

@Pamela950 @Heather106 @Pamela950 

Back in the day they were also a pneumatic system with a much smaller collection point.

Eddie-B0
Level 2
Granite Falls, NC

Yeah but what happens if these Guests pay for their room with a gift card and have no credit card on file

@Eddie-B0  I assumed guests have to upload their credit card info or other acceptable payment method regardless of whether they used a gift card or not. And if a guest refuses to pay for damages, having their card number on file isn't going to be of use anyway.