Guests not checking out on time

Answered!
Kristen12
Level 1
Coal City, IL

Guests not checking out on time

I have a guest who was supposed to check out this morning but has yet to leave my apartment.  How do I get the guest to leave without being rude and does anyone charge people for late check out?

If he doesn't leave tonight am i able to charge him for staying the extra day?  Not sure how to go about approaching the guest as he is locked in his bedroom and i assume asleep.

1 Best Answer
Flavia195
Level 10
Grande Prairie, Canada

@Kristen12  hi, usually I use this kind of message at 8pm(night before checkout).

Hi {guest_first_name},

I hope you’ve enjoyed your stay in {listing_name}!

Just a quick reminder that you check-out tomorrow. Check-out time is {check_out_time} or earlier.

On your way out please lock the door and put the keys back in the lockbox and set the code to 0000. If you had time to send me a quick message when you leave I'd really appreciate it. That will help me alert our cleaners for the next guests.

Thanks so much for choosing to stay at our place.

Thanks again,
{host_first_name}

Hope it helps you.

View Best Answer in original post

37 Replies 37
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am glad my advice was helpful @Rowén0 

Please leave an honest review for the guest and definitely mark him down to at least three stars for communication, so he can't instant book with another guest.

It is appalling that he decided to overstay without letting you know, but even worse that they seemingly have decided to come back and check out late with no explanation.

Mary1526
Level 2
Nevada City, CA

I have guests who booked a day prior for 2 nights. That morning they asked for a 3 hour early check-in. I said I would try to get them in a half hour early (2:30) but they could park here and walk a block to a cafe. At 2:15 I called they could arrive. At 3pm she called to ask how to get to my place and how far. Someone dropped them off ½ mile away and her partner couldn’t walk. When I picked them up they had so many garbage bags full of their possessions that they filled the trunk of my car and part of the interior. This morning she called from a food bank (unfortunately closed) asking if I could give her some oatmeal so they wouldn’t starve! They are supposed to check out tomorrow. I’m worried they won’t go and don’t know what to do. In 5 years I’ve never had trouble like this. Advice please. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would definitely discuss plans for their departure with them in terms of their check out ASAP @Mary1526 . You can tell them you have someone else booked tomorrow so you need to ensure you are able to get into clean promptly at XXX.

Give Airbnb a call and explain you are concerned they won't leave as they have no money and appear to be homeless.

They shouldn't be asking you to provide them with food.

Helen,

Thank you for your reply. They left only a half-hour late when someone came to pick them up. The apartment was messier than usual with dirty dishes and junk items left scattered around. I did ask if they had a place to go next and they said no but that they were leaving the area. I immediately changed the Keypad Code (of course). They were pretty obviously homeless but someone must have given them money for 2 nights in an airbnb and they may have met with someone locally. I was so glad there was no trouble that I didn't mind the extra hour cleaning their mess (no damage!). I simply wanted to be prepared if something happened. I appreciate your supportive advice.

Mary

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am so glad to hear it worked out for you @Mary1526 

It sounds like you had a lucky escape.

Flavia195
Level 10
Grande Prairie, Canada

@Kristen12  hi, usually I use this kind of message at 8pm(night before checkout).

Hi {guest_first_name},

I hope you’ve enjoyed your stay in {listing_name}!

Just a quick reminder that you check-out tomorrow. Check-out time is {check_out_time} or earlier.

On your way out please lock the door and put the keys back in the lockbox and set the code to 0000. If you had time to send me a quick message when you leave I'd really appreciate it. That will help me alert our cleaners for the next guests.

Thanks so much for choosing to stay at our place.

Thanks again,
{host_first_name}

Hope it helps you.

I send my message the morning of the day before checkout.  

h