Guests not checking out on time

Answered!
Kristen12
Level 1
Coal City, IL

Guests not checking out on time

I have a guest who was supposed to check out this morning but has yet to leave my apartment.  How do I get the guest to leave without being rude and does anyone charge people for late check out?

If he doesn't leave tonight am i able to charge him for staying the extra day?  Not sure how to go about approaching the guest as he is locked in his bedroom and i assume asleep.

1 Best Answer
Flavia195
Level 10
Grande Prairie, Canada

@Kristen12  hi, usually I use this kind of message at 8pm(night before checkout).

Hi {guest_first_name},

I hope you’ve enjoyed your stay in {listing_name}!

Just a quick reminder that you check-out tomorrow. Check-out time is {check_out_time} or earlier.

On your way out please lock the door and put the keys back in the lockbox and set the code to 0000. If you had time to send me a quick message when you leave I'd really appreciate it. That will help me alert our cleaners for the next guests.

Thanks so much for choosing to stay at our place.

Thanks again,
{host_first_name}

Hope it helps you.

View Best Answer in original post

37 Replies 37
Michael210
Level 1
New York, NY

Definitely take charge and don't feel guilty about it (especially if you have another guest coming, like I usually do!).  However, you can tactfully play around it to feign ignorance.  For instance, knock on his door loudly and say "coming in", then walk in if he doesn't answer.  When you see him, act surprised, and say "Oh, I figured you must be out since it's so far past check-out time!  I was just coming to get the room ready for the next guest."  Hopefully this suggestion works in your case.  It's usually best, I think, to get the job done but also to avoid conflict where necessary.  

Bridget0
Level 10
Redmond, WA

This is your home, knock loudly on the door and tell him he is overdue to leave. If you don't have something already on your listing about charging a late fee you aren't going to get backup from airbnb on collecting it.

Being a host means not just being nice but being firm about your rules. He has no right to stay, you may have another guest coming in. you may have to leave, he may be high or having a medical emergency. Whatever is going on, you are entitled to enter and start getting the room clean.

So, knock and speak loudly. Tell him ihe is overdue by X hours/minutes and it is time for him to leave the premises. If it makes you feel more comfortable, get a freind or neighbor in to be with you.

This is your home that you have shared for a specific time for a specific price. he needs to know the rules and obey them. FOR SURE mention this in your review of him, in a neutral way ( John did not leave the room until 2 hours after checkout time) so future guests can be watchful.

Tell him you will be back to open the door in 10 minutes to begin cleaning.

Leanne33
Level 2
Gold Coast, Australia

Hello i have had the same thing happen to me my guests were suposed to check out at 11am but when the cleaner went to go in there stuff was all still in the house ,i sent a messaage to remind them that check out was 11am as i had other guests coming at 4pm 3 hours later they returned and left and left linen and towels damaged .as a new host im not sure what to do ?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

hi @Leanne33

As a host you need to help mitigate against this happening. Always ask for guests check out plans well in advance of their departure and then remind them again the night before so no room for error.

You shouldn't have let your guests check out three hours after the cleaners arrival - this is so rude of them.

If there is a next time. Call the guests straight away and remind them their check out time has passed, your cleaner is waiting to clean the property. Say that you will give them half an hour to collect their belongs and tidy up after themselves.

Make sure your review mentions this and any damage.

By the way have you read Airbnb's help section and used the search function on these forums. I find these answer the vast majority of questions hosts have. For example 'how to contact Airbnb' has been asked and answered over 500 times! 🙂

Lauren201
Level 2
Johannesburg, South Africa

I have a similar situation today. Guest was under the impression she was booked for an additional day and when I called her to tell her I need to clean the room she was most upset. I have another guest arriving this afternoon. 

The result is that I have packed up her belongings as she is not on the premises right now and have begun cleaning and preparation for this afternoons guest. Am I correct in packing up this lady's belongings and clearing the room for cleaning?

Am additional problem is that this booking was made by a man with good reviews but this this lady turns up. So the reservation was actually made on instant book by one person for another. What should I do about this?

Lauren. Johannesburg. New host

I am having the exact same problem right now. someone booked for someone else, and I have no way to communicate witht the actual guest. they have not checked out at the specified time, and the person who booked is not responding to my messages, what do I do?

@Pamela432  In Texas we can pack up the guests belongings and place them out of the room or house, but I believe in Florida that's illegal to do. At this point all you can do is start changing the sheets and cleaning around their belongings if you have another guest coming today. Have you tried calling the phone number of the guest that booked or texting to it? This is why you never except third party bookings which are against AirBnB's policy to begin with. You can call AirBnB, but they will probably not be of much help to you. You may need to have AirBnB cancel if you have another booking and this person still has not been reached or returned by check in time and if that's the case make sure AirBnB honors their 2X the nightly rate overstay penalty for the reservation, though because it's a third party booking they may tell you no on that.  

Terms of Service

8.2.2 You agree to leave the Accommodation no later than the checkout time that the Host specifies in the Listing or such other time as mutually agreed upon between you and the Host. If you stay past the agreed upon checkout time without the Host's consent (“Overstay”), you no longer have a license to stay in the Accommodation and the Host is entitled to make you leave in a manner consistent with applicable law. In addition, you agree to pay, if requested by the Host, for each twenty-four (24) hour period (or any portion thereof) that you Overstay, an additional nightly fee of up to two (2) times the average nightly Listing Fee originally paid by you to cover the inconvenience suffered by the Host, plus all applicable Guest Fees, Taxes, and any legal expenses incurred by the Host to make you leave (collectively, "Overstay Fees"). Overstay Fees for late checkouts on the checkout date that do not impact upcoming bookings may be limited to the additional costs incurred by the Host as a result of such Overstay. If you Overstay at an Accommodation, you authorize Airbnb (via Airbnb Payments) to charge you to collect Overstay Fees. A Security Deposit, if required by a Host, may be applied to any Overstay Fees due for a Guest’s Overstay.

https://www.airbnb.com/terms#sec8

thank you Letti! I actually copied and messaged the person who set up the booking the terms of service paragraph you listed, and they just left!!

The thing that bothers me is I feel like some guest do it on purpose. Like they think they're entilteld to stay as long as they want. 

Lettio, 

Thank you for providing the policy!  I just came across this group after finding myself in a situation to approve, or not approve an upcoming guest's request.  I had legitimate concerns about an overstay possibility based on the guest's initial contact.  I tried calling Abnb to see what support they would provide if I find myself in an overstay issue, and I only got frustrated in the process because of their lack of support and information. 

Based on my concern that this upcoming guest may overstay, I created the following response.  Taking action upfront and letting the guest know where you stand is always the best policy.  A host is never obligated to put themselves at risk for the sake of any guest.

"Hello (guest),

I received your inquiry to stay with us (xx dates). Thank you for your interest. Similar to all Abnb Hosts, I am in the business of helping respectable people find alternative options to staying in a hotel when traveling out of town.

As a host, I have made rare exceptions to guests who wish to stay with us for an extended period of time. Even more rare is the exception to extend their stay past the initial agreed upon number of days. This can only be done when the days immediately following are open on our calendar, and only when the requesting guest books the additional nights through the Abnb website at least 24 hours in advance of their initial end of stay.

As an Abnb Guest considering/requesting an extended stay, you should be aware of Abnb's 8.2.2 policy on this subject. Their policy states: "You agree to leave the Accommodation no later than the checkout time that the Host specifies in the Listing or such other time as mutually agreed upon between you and the Host. If you stay past the agreed upon checkout time without the Host's consent (“Overstay”), you no longer have a license to stay in the Accommodation and the Host is entitled to make you leave in a manner consistent with applicable law. In addition, you agree to pay, if requested by the Host, for each twenty-four (24) hour period (or any portion thereof) that you Overstay, an additional nightly fee of up to two (2) times the average nightly Listing Fee originally paid by you to cover the inconvenience suffered by the Host, plus all applicable Guest Fees, Taxes, and any legal expenses incurred by the Host to make you leave (collectively, "Overstay Fees"). Overstay Fees for late checkouts on the checkout date that do not impact upcoming bookings may be limited to the additional costs incurred by the Host as a result of such Overstay. If you Overstay at an Accommodation, you authorize Airbnb (via Airbnb Payments) to charge you to collect Overstay Fees. A Security Deposit, if required by a Host, may be applied to any Overstay Fees due for a Guest’s Overstay."

If you are confident that you can abide by these terms, then we welcome you to stay with us from (xx dates), or longer as mutually agreed.

As you can see from prior guest ratings, (XX) is a great place to stay for those who need a temporary place to unwind 🙂

Respectfully,

(Host)

Hi Leanne,

If guests damage your property, you should be able to claim their security deposit.

Hopefully it's enough to cover the cost of the damages.

The Airbnb contact number in Aust is 02 8520 3333.

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

Was supposed to check out - no good. 

Guests sometimes need to be reminded about what they are supposed to do, if they are not willing to comply with the agreement, then the easiest way to sort things out will be to get a third party involved (read :get airbnb involved).

Call the support team. 

They will speak with the unwanted guest to make sure he follows rules and departure time. 

Thank you for your advice im finding The Community Centre very helpful, 

i live in Australia and im not sure of the number for AIRBNB IN Australia .

Rachel765
Level 2
Oklahoma City, OK

So I was having serious issues getting guests to check in and out on time. In order for Airbnb to back you, it must be in your “house rules.”  

My house rules clearly state “check in is ***.  Check out is ***.  Checking in before ** or out after *** will result in a $40 fee.”

Then when the guest books I send a greetings message asking them to review the house rules before check-in.  

I have a “home sharing,” rental.  If they still havent checked out 15 min before check-out, I send a “friendly reminder,” about check-out and my policy.  At 5min till I send the money request.  I can cancel it if they check-out in time, but it usually demonstrates to the guest that I’m serious about check-out time.

Hope this helps!  It took me almost a year to perfect this process.  It was worth it, knowing now that I’ll have the ample time to change over my rental.