Guests not checking out on time

Answered!
Kristen12
Level 1
Coal City, IL

Guests not checking out on time

I have a guest who was supposed to check out this morning but has yet to leave my apartment.  How do I get the guest to leave without being rude and does anyone charge people for late check out?

If he doesn't leave tonight am i able to charge him for staying the extra day?  Not sure how to go about approaching the guest as he is locked in his bedroom and i assume asleep.

1 Best Answer
Flavia195
Level 10
Grande Prairie, Canada

@Kristen12  hi, usually I use this kind of message at 8pm(night before checkout).

Hi {guest_first_name},

I hope you’ve enjoyed your stay in {listing_name}!

Just a quick reminder that you check-out tomorrow. Check-out time is {check_out_time} or earlier.

On your way out please lock the door and put the keys back in the lockbox and set the code to 0000. If you had time to send me a quick message when you leave I'd really appreciate it. That will help me alert our cleaners for the next guests.

Thanks so much for choosing to stay at our place.

Thanks again,
{host_first_name}

Hope it helps you.

View Best Answer in original post

37 Replies 37

Hi, thanks for sharing the experiences. The question is; after you send out the money request to the guest but they seem don't care and stay overtime say 2 hours after the check out times without paying you. Can you claim the money to Airbnb ? Does Airbnb pay for the late check out of the guest? Thank you!

@Nam24 You request the fine or fee through Airbnb. If you request a deposit, Airbnb will deduct the fee from that. If you don't they'll just charge the guest's credit card, I imagine. 

Aloha, how would you go about charging a Check out late fee?

@Beto-and-Maia0 Rachel765's advice to put the overstay fee in the rules of the house is great. And Airbnb offers the possibility to request or send money to guests or hosts. Have to look where it is myself, but the payment goes through HQ. 

@Rachel765 thanks for all that, very helpful. I checked your listings to see how much of a percentage $40 would be. It's funny (or not) how reluctant I am to charge folks, and fearful it'll be too much, but then I note they take an Uber to downtown which cost the same as the room. Your advice is empowering.  In your house rules I noted check in and out 5 p.m. and 10 a.m., but for overstay 11 a.m., is that a grace-time window you offer, or a typo? Thanks again, Judith 

Thanks Judith.  I’m not the kind of host that hides fees or has add ons.  My rate is my rate so I don’t feel guilty for enforcing my check-out time.  I actually got a bad review about it and it really helped out by driving the point home lol.  As far as the discrepancies in time it was a typo.  I recently changed my check-out time.  Thanks for pointing it out, all fixed now.

HI, I am wondering where did you add the part about checking in or out will result in a $40 fee.  

Kate2161
Level 1
New Lambton, Australia

Hi ervina,

I think they mentioned putting it in you ‘house rules’ 

Hi @Rachel765 ! Love this idea as we keep having guests either arriving hours early or staying past checkout.  However, do you find that any of your strategy results in poor reviews? We're afraid if we implement a fee or send guests the money request like you suggested that they'll give us lower ratings. Appreciate any feedback you've received!!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Your guests can only check in early and check out late if you let them @Amber818 

1. How do your guests access your property? The simple solution is not to let them check in early. Meeting in person/electronic check in means they can't arrive early.

2. Do you remind your guests as part of your check out process about your check out times etc the day before they leave. Just remind them you/your cleaner will be at your listing at XXX time to allow time for a full clean between guests.

Hi, so just wondering as I'm pretty new here.  Where and how do you charge/send them the extra fees if they break your policy?  Thanks!

Sophia
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Adriana1674, Welcome! 🎉 Happy to have you here!

That's a great question! Since this thread is pretty old and hasn't had any new comments for a while, I'd highly recommend that you create a conversation and pose this question to the wider community 👉🏽here There are lots of lovely Hosts who I'm sure will share their advice 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Rowén0
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

I have a guest who was supposed to checkout at 10:00. The times are in my house rules which guests receive and I normally send a friendly message 24hours prior to their departure asking what kind of checkout they would prefer, host/self checkout. 

Anyway, we arrived at 10:30 with the cleaner, to find the light to the apartment on, which was odd. Knocked on the door a few times and then peaked through the window and found their belongs still there.

i sent him a message, and tried phoning, but his cellphone was off. I reported it to Airbnb. It is now 12:30, they have still not vacated my apartment. I have had to disable the instant booking service for today. I am so disgusted that individuals can be so disrespectful.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Rowén0  I would look at charging the guest a late check out fee in line with Airbnb's policy (think it is 2 times your normal rate).

Also if you need to pay the cleaner to come back charge him that too.

Have you followed up your call with a message through the Airbnb app. If not do that now and remind the  guest that he is being charged a late check out fee in line with Airbnb's terms and ask him to come back as soon as possible.

If you have guests arriving, you may need to pack up his stuff. (not sure on legalties of this where you live). What did Airbnb advise?

Terms of Service

8.2.2 You agree to leave the Accommodation no later than the checkout time that the Host specifies in the Listing or such other time as mutually agreed upon between you and the Host. If you stay past the agreed upon checkout time without the Host's consent (“Overstay”), you no longer have a license to stay in the Accommodation and the Host is entitled to make you leave in a manner consistent with applicable law. In addition, you agree to pay, if requested by the Host, for each twenty-four (24) hour period (or any portion thereof) that you Overstay, an additional nightly fee of up to two (2) times the average nightly Listing Fee originally paid by you to cover the inconvenience suffered by the Host, plus all applicable Guest Fees, Taxes, and any legal expenses incurred by the Host to make you leave (collectively, "Overstay Fees"). Overstay Fees for late checkouts on the checkout date that do not impact upcoming bookings may be limited to the additional costs incurred by the Host as a result of such Overstay. If you Overstay at an Accommodation, you authorize Airbnb (via Airbnb Payments) to charge you to collect Overstay Fees. A Security Deposit, if required by a Host, may be applied to any Overstay Fees due for a Guest’s Overstay.

https://www.airbnb.com/terms#sec8

Rowén0
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

@Helen3 

Airbnb advised that we charge them. I have sent him a request via the resolution Centre. He has still not responded to any of my messages which was via the Airbnb platform. I had to eventually return to work, so I’m not sure what time they eventually checked out. But they never had the decency to notify us that they finally arrived, or why they did not check out time. Airbnb indicated that they would assist if he does not respond.