Guests requesting transport from airport

Chong1
Level 3
Sabah, Malaysia

Guests requesting transport from airport

Hi,

I've just put up my place for Airbnb 2 weeks ago and have some requests & bookings. However, there are several potential guests who requested for transport from the airport which is actually quite near to my place. 

I have a job which means I can't afford to spend time waiting for guests at the airport.

I also drive a sedan, most of those who book are in groups of 5 or 6 people so it would be impossible to fit everyone with their luggage into my car. I think one of them was not that thrilled that I could not fulfil his request and suggested that he take a taxi instead as it's quite convenient and cheap.

Any suggestions on how to politely reject them? 

10 Replies 10
Guan0
Level 1
Fayetteville, AR

Assisting in getting a transport for those request is totally normal. What i did is i keep the numbers of taxi, driver or etc.

Share those with them or in Kuala Lumpur i have option to introduce them Grab Car or UBER by providing them the links for them to download.

I never go to airport to wait for guest. I arrange for them the transports and making sure the guest agree with the rates of the taxi or driver.

After they finalize their booking, I always request them to share their flight of arrival & departure details. Why? So I can anticipate my schedule and theirs.

If and if i arrange their transport, then i know for sure when they going to arrive for sure.

Hope that help. Cheers.............

Thanks for your suggestions.

Airbnb blocks sharing of phone numbers/emails/websites in messages with guests. I tried sharing before but all the contents were hidden. These are guests who are just enquiring so I do not have their email/phone no. yet

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I just looked at your listing and there is nothing to suggest that you will pick guests from the Airport. I would suggest if any future guest do ask, that you simply tell them this is not part of your listing offer as such you are unable to accommodate their request although you are more than happy to suggest a couple of cab services.

If a guest decides to take a holiday or visit a place for whatever reason, it is their responsibility to arrange all transfer transportation. They can seek your assistance as you have a better knowledge of the area and you can givethem details of cabs but you are under no obligations to provide the actual service yourself. Oh well, he is not trilled - but he can't get everything he wants just because he want it.

Don't worry about it, unless they mention it for some reason n arrival, don't mention it yourself. I would say, be alert as this initial behaviour might indicate a demanding guest even one with high expectations so you will need to be firm and establish boundaries from the start if you sense anything like that.

As an additional note, if you do find for some reason that you are getting a few requests for such services, it might be an idea to add a line to your description stating that you do not offer pick-up service from the airport although can recommend a few options if required.

Happy hosting, Ama

Thanks for your advice, just started hosting, didn't really anticipate that there'll be a demand for airport transport.  Will try to get some contacts for transport to keep them happy 

Robin77
Level 2
Salisbury, MD

My guest just texted me and asked me to pick him up from the airport.  He is flying from the west coast to the east coast.  I thought he'd be renting a car.  I live about 5 miles from the airport, but this is going over being an Airbnb host.  What should I do, he's due to be at the airport in less than 2 hours.

Robin77
Level 2
Salisbury, MD

What do I do in this case?  He's due to be here in an hour.  I didn't sign up for this.  How in the world do you talk with someone about this?  This is only my 4th guess, I'm a new host.

Unless a host specifically offers transfer service for his guests in his/her listing, this service is not part of the deal. 

Hence, provide your guests with a template telling them how to make it to your listing by taxi, by rental car or by using public transportation. 

This is by far, not purely an issue of the host being generous and welcoming. Providing transfer services may involve legal liability, too. 

It also makes sense to offer a choice of transfer providers with a clear disclaimer that you do NOT endorse anyone of them, and that the guest remains solely responsible for his choice of service providers. 

Better safe than sorry... 

Danny

Expert support for your listings in Palma de Mallorca, Spain!

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

I'm new at this but even after a few rentals I've had similar experiences with guests wanting me to help organize their airport transfer.

I explain the 3 options for getting to my place, taxi (about 70-80 euros) bus + taxi (about 10-15 per person) or renting a car.

For our second guests we had time and we thought it would be greatly appreciated if we offered to come pick them up at the airport for 50 euros.  Which is a great discount for them (and a 90 minute 70 km round trip plus gas plus parking plus waiting time for us, so basically, it was a gift to them and not in any way a scheme for us to make some money).

And what did they say?  They didn't want to pay 50, couldn't we come and get them for 30 since there were only 2 of them. (?? reasoning??) .  We said no, sorry, explaning the effort it takes for an airport pickup and offered to pick them up at the bus station nearby instead.  They folded right away and agreed to 50 euros.  But with an awkward feeling on both sides that maybe each was taking advantage of the other.

Moral of the story:  sometimes it's better to keep your distance and not get too involved we will not be picking anyone up at the aiport anymore.

I am a long established minibus operator 8 to 16 passengers based in Liverpool and recently 

had a call from bandb customer who I looked after over the weekend whilst they stayed in Liverpool,the host had left local taxi numbers in the accommodation but they were a group of 9 and taxis only took 4/5 passengers so they found me by accident,how do I contact local air bandb to offer my services ?

Any help much appreciated.

tony

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hello@Chong

Are you a fully registered and insured taxi driver?

If not, then politely decline this entitled request.

Is there an Uber service?

You can always give these guests the numbers of local taxi operators and let these guests make their own taxi travel arrangements or have you now taken on the role of domestic servant along with your full time job?