Guests said they were robbed in my home. What should I do?

Gabriela229
Level 1
Madrid, Spain

Guests said they were robbed in my home. What should I do?

Hello everyone, I need your Host experience on this one, because it happened yesterday and stressed me out so much! Still stressed 😞  I've been hosting for a year and never had this problem before. And it's such a strange robbery case! Please take some minutes to read it and give me your thoughts! 

This weekend, like every weekend I spend in my family's, I rented out my room. 

I share it with my flatmate and he's very used to people from Airbnb staying 1 or 2 times a month in my room. 

He lives next to my room, to clarify. 

So, this happened: 

I had a reservation for 2 nights: a couple. Friday and Saturday night. 

To be very very honest, I felt weird about them.  But they had nothing weird actually! It was just a gut feeling.

I didn't leave my home in peace when I gave them the keys and left, even tho they didn't look shady. 

Friday was great, and Saturday apparently too. Nothing happened.

Then Sunday I wake up to the message of my roommate at 7.30 AM: "Look, everyone is safe but apparently someone broke into your room through the balcony and took stuff from your Airbnb guests". I panicked. 

I took the train home, an hour and a half later I was there. 

Apparently, while my guests were away partying (let's say, around 4 to 7 AM), someone broke into the room through my balcony (NOTE, they left the balcony open, or they can't remember they closed it anyway) and –supposely– took an iPad and a Reflex camera. Also, the thug made a mess around my room. The thug even searched inside bags that were obviously just full of winter clothes or sheets. Everything was kinda spread away. Their luggages were open and clothes spread around. They left everything just as they found it, for me to see. I guess.

Also, the thug took 4 beers I had in my fridge and put them in a paper bag, and left it in my room. 

While all of this happened, my roommate and his girlfriend were sleeping in the room next to mine. They didn't hear a thing. Walls are quite thin, I must admit. Our balconies are next to eachother, but mine is accesible and his isn't). They didn't hear my guests leaving, or the thug. Only when they came back at 7 AM. 

Also, the police came. They filled in a report. I got a copy. The police didn't even bother to come and take fingerprints (eg the beer cans!) so they were of no help at all. 

AND, funny enough!... My stuff was there. I had an iPhone inside the drawer that was open (the only drawer open, actually!) and it was still there. And my credit card. And my documents... My belongings, to sum up, were untouched. Super strange! I was already ready to see that my iphone was gone and my card and my documents, or something. Anything. But it was all there. Only these two expensive items of them were gone. 

I am terribly sorry for their experience, and also that I don't have an insurance in my home, I'm still a student who doesn't have a steady job so I can't afford it. What I do, usually, is close the windows when I leave so that nobody can come in easily. Apparently, they didn't and so someone broke in. 

Another possibility is that someone has my keys and came through the door. That is very scary. I'm thinking maybe someone who rented out my room and lives in the same city (a few weeks ago, a guy from here rented it out saying his boyfriend and him would reunite in Madrid and they wanted a bigger room than his... But I had no troubles with him). You know, the most humble hosts on Airbnb have no security at all, and every Airbnb guest can copy our home keys and have access to it any time. 

So, after all that happened, and being so sorry like I was and am for my guests (if the robbery was real), the only thing I could offer among all the shame I had, was to give them back the money they paid to stay here. It was and is the only way I can help. 

But, what do you think, as hosts, about that? Is it my obligation to reimburse them at least the days they were here? In one hand, it really wasn't my fault (either if someone came through the balcony or thru the door), but I can't stop feeling guilty and sorry that it was in MY home. Obviously, I also want to avoid a bad review because I've had great ones so far, I'm 2 points close to be a 5 stars! 

What would you do? Would you reimburse guests that were robbed in your home? 

I really don't know what to do so that's what I'm gonna do. But also grinds my gears that it wasn't under my control and that I can't help it if thugs want to come to my home and steal. It also is a traumatic experience for me 😞 

PS. I am installing spikes in my balcony now, and asking future guests to ALWAYS close the windows since this IS a first floor with balcony in the middle of Madrid!  And also close the door properly. I can't control my home at all times, sadly. 

10 Replies 10
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Gabriela229 Terrible for your guests IF they were actually robbed, though I find it suspect nothing of yours went missing. I think you’ve done what you can and there’s nothing further to do except help prevent it in the future. They should have insurance for their items to file for their replacement. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

You called the Police, nothing else for you to do.

David
Pat153
Level 1
New York, NY

You did the right thing by giving their money back.  I was recently a guest and was robbed by the house staff of the host.  They did nothing.  Airbnb did nothing.  I was just asking for at least a partial refund.  Nothing.  That attitude that hosts don't bare any responsibility is bull**bleep** - at least you did the right thing.  

@Pat153

And that's why Students, that sublet the apartments they live in should not be allowed on Airbnb el at, What would happen if the confronted the intruders and had a personal injury claim?

who knows, how cares.  my host was not a student.  what difference does it make?  it's about responsibility.  

Hi Pat, I was just robbed by the house staff of an Airbnb I'm staying that. Did you ever have any resolution to your problem? Is there anything I can do? Only cash was taken, which isn't covered by my travel insurance policy. The person who robbed me has an access code to get into the apartment, and I was there in the other room. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Gabriela229

Sorry this happened. It does sound a little suspect I have to say.

Their travel insurance should cover their costs. I wouldn't refund them particularly, as if you were broken into they have liability by leaving the access point open.

Personally I don't think you can afford not to have home insurance that covers short term lets if you are doing Airbnb. Something you need to factor in from the profit you are making by letting out your room.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Gabriela

I suspect the intruder realised that somebody was in the flat and never got to your room and left with the swag he/she had, did you notify your landlord and ask if his insurance coverers the loss or if your parent's own the flat, you could ask them if their insurance coverers your guest loss.

I can't make money on Airbnb because of this sort of activity because I have the overheads of a legitimate Host and you do not. Insurance being one of them!

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

The police couldn't do anything because nothing of yours wasn't stolen, it shows it was a inside job a thief steals every thing that's not nail to the floor you know what I mean, that's one of my biggest fear is being robbed in my place, sorry to hear your story, but don't give up things happen, but the truth will come up you will fine out is always some one around us you know what I mean thief are usually local, because this case is a petty one and so is the thief ,Iam surprise of your roommate he didn't hear anything 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I guess we should never say never when dealing with Insurance but would be most unusual for anybody providing accomodation to also insure the Guests personal possesions. Their own liability is another matter

May be certain limited cases, you provide a safe and look after valuables.

As has been mentioned Travel Insurance/Guests own Insurance should be the first port of call.

David