Guests seeing different prices

Answered!
Huei0
Level 2
Gaithersburg, MD

Guests seeing different prices

Hi I am a new host and still trying to learn everything here.

I just got my first request which was for his girlfriend.  He eventually told me the reason his girlfriend did not request herself was because it showed $67/night to her but $50/night to him. $50/night is the price I set and I have smart pricing function off.  

I don't understand why they were seeing different prices which can become a big problem for me.  

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Huei

1 Best Answer

And one more thing, when you set the smart pricing there is range the lowest to the highest. Airbnb will accumulate the price based on your setting with the demands during the period of 4 months. So the guests will see different price depending on the demand. Hope it helps

View Best Answer in original post

104 Replies 104

This is happening to me right now. UNBELIEVABLE. Rip off your best customers, great job AirBnB.

I also felt quite cheated when I discovered this. Almost 15% difference for the same reservation and dates!!

i just saw the exact same thing. A listing my wife looked up was $500 more for the same stay for me and I have no idea why. Considering I'm black and she's white, makes it feel like a lot like basic discrimination. If AirBnB is charging me more for any reason I should at the very least be aware of it.

And one more thing, when you set the smart pricing there is range the lowest to the highest. Airbnb will accumulate the price based on your setting with the demands during the period of 4 months. So the guests will see different price depending on the demand. Hope it helps

Yes, it helps to understand smart pricing but I am not using it. 😉

Smart pricing seems to recommend much lower price.  

Do you recommend using it?

Kim-and-Jen0
Level 10
Oslo, Norway

Yea, there is also airbnb fees, and other additional fees... 🙂

Nope, nope, nope, that's not the problem. It's genuinely giving different prices to different accounts. It's discriminating the price based on previous rentals and amount paid. Should be illegal.

My price $196 if I book it but if my wife books it it’s $178 for exact same same.  Both of us have same iPhone.  I have used Airbnb lots and she hasn’t.  Is there some frequent-user $18.00 Per Night PENALTY?  Really AIRBNB?

I have exactly the same problem. With me the price difference is even higher. I see a price of $239 per night. She sees the same place for the same dates for $214. And I've stayed in Airbnb a dozen times and even hosted myself. She hasn't. Shame on you Airbnb for trying to rip off your most loyal customers. 

1. This is the same Airbnb EXACTLY THE SAME DATES for the exact same 10 people.  My fiancé and I are sitting on the same couch and his comes up WAY CHEAPER!!!!!

2. THIS IS NOT GOOD BUSINESS!!!!!

026899DA-F7A2-4C0E-B9D4-78644D42ED0A.png63A1AD9E-9FCF-4E3E-85A3-CA5D1DD3AF85.png

@Jenn5573  So was this discrepancy on different devices, two different people searching, or searching from one day to another? 

Never visit Bora Bora, or Airbnb will empty your pockets later on 🙂

Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

Not sure if this is your answer, but I know I have different pricing for different dates, and different days of the week.  I believe that if a guest were to browse my listing without putting in an actual date, they're going to see my base price.  If a guest puts in actual dates, they're going to see a different price, which may be higher or lower depending on the popularity of the day of the week.

Perhaps this might be an explanation?

Jude

Julia308
Level 3
Wilmington, NC

The same thing just happened to me! One place showed $98/ night for me but $75/ night for my boyfriend. I've used Airbnb a lot more than he has and I have everything verified, so I don't know why we get two different prices when I send him a link to look at it.