Guests who break rules should not get to review!

Jamaal1
Level 10
Elk Grove, CA

Guests who break rules should not get to review!

Every bad review I have is due to me confronting a guest that has broken the rules. Usually the review complains about lack of privacy or me not being accommodating. Why should someone who has broken the rules and been kicked out, be allowed to leave a retaliation review? Anyone who breaks a serious rule, should be penalized and not allowed to leave a review! Airbnb can make rules levels, where hosts can say which ones are intolerable.

49 Replies 49
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

There are several discussion threads that address this very concern.  You might find them interesting.  Most hosts would agree.

agree if they receive 2 demerit/cancellation  points. and cancel must be straight forward rejection.

Hi I am new at this and don’t understand fully how it works. I have a similar situation where I requested funds for damages because of my guests breaking the rules and now I’m been penalized for it.

You will get your damages back as Airbnb is good with that. But, the guest will be allowed to leave a review, which usally isn’t good! Did they leave you a negative review? 

Yes she did as a result I may loose my super host status I work so hard for. 

I don't think you will lose your super host status.  I haven't, after guests say my bathroom is filthy as an excuse to cancel and get a refund.  Air Bnb seems wise to these wise-crackers.

Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

I am with you, it's definitely not fair they get to leave a review after breaking your house rules & some we have had to evict because it was so bad. These horrible guests accounts should be closed by Airbnb to prevent repeat behaviour with other hosts.

Exactly! It’s very minimal repercussions for guests, while reviews mean everything for host! Airbnb thinks it’s one to one, but a guest with bad reviews can still book, while hosts with bad reviews may have to lower prices to get people to come again! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

There is also very little repercussion on problem hosts who leave unfair/untrue reviews for guests who are then less likely to be able to rebook - it works both ways sadly @Jamaal1 

Not true, because many Airbnb’s are direct book, in which a guest’s reviews are not even considered. I have the filter on to screen guests with bad reviews or no reviews, but most homes don’t. Therefore a guest with a bad review can search until they find a place with direct booking. If a host gets bad reviews they are always visible and considered. Most people book by pics, location, and then reviews. There is no option for people to book immediately without reviewing. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Not true @Jamaal1  if you read up on how Instant Book works (presume that is what you are referring to), you would know that if a guest is given a rating of three stars or less they can't use it.

Therefore your assumption that a guest with a bad rating can 'search until they find a place with direct bookings' is incorrect.

Thanks this is good to know. But the guest I’m referring to are people who clearly break the house rules on purpose with the assumption you won’t catch them. Like a caught a person in my garage in my cars!! I explained this is not ok, their complaint was I watched them like a hawk and gave no privacy! 

I don't understand ???   As a host why would you leave a unfair or untrue review ???  As a host you want repeat customers.   Also to let other host  read the bad review for a heads up.  I have left a few  bad reviews that were true,  and not in favour of  the guest's, they  were so upset and said  I was  lying!   I find the few I have problems with  seem  to just book and don't read our house rules, or the cancellation policy, or the  correct # of guest's that  are coming.     So far they have all been under 25.   BUT  I have had other younger guests that were great !!  

To be a host is a hard job.

If a guest read your house rules - it is luck; if not  ( which is a norm) - you must prepare patience to explain him/her in oral and in addition printed method to let know about your expectations.