Guests who won't leave after short periods (Maryland specific)

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

Guests who won't leave after short periods (Maryland specific)

I’ve asked questions similar to this before, but most of the time what I have been told or found on the Internet relates to long term rentals.  My question pertains to Airbnb guests (I live in Maryland) who stay for short periods, like one or two weeks, and then try to remain in the house claiming they are tenants. 

I have never had this happen, thank goodness, but a few months ago a woman stayed at my home for about ten days and was acting really cagey, asking odd questions about Maryland laws regarding residency, and then she tried to have mail sent to the house in her name.  I have a detached P.O. Box, so this didn’t work, and also have the ability to change the door lock code on a moment's notice and I think she knew this.  I technically could lock the bathroom as well, and clear out the bedroom if needed, but she left on time after I think she knew her plan wouldn’t work.

But to the original question, we’ve all heard horror stories about police not helping, even in cases of people who stay just one or two days, and then say they are living in the property (in Texas, this is apparently a big problem).  My question is Maryland-specific, but am opening to hearing from people in other areas.

0 Replies 0